Paul D. Kruper
Paul Kruper concentrates his practice in the area of general civil litigation with a particular emphasis on mass tort litigation and product liability. Prior to joining Eckert Seamans, he was Senior Counsel at an international law firm, and shareholder at a national law firm, where he had a broad litigation practice concentrating in product liability defense, warranty defense, toxic tort, construction and commercial litigation. He has extensive jury and non-jury trial experience with numerous cases tried to verdict, and has litigated cases in over 40 states. Prior to joining private practice, Paul clerked at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, DC.
- Handles the defense of a Fortune 500 company in hundreds of mesothelioma and lung and other cancer depositions throughout Western Pennsylvania, and other states. Has also successfully argued dispositive motions in those cases in numerous county courts in Pennsylvania.
- Member of project team for international pharmaceutical corporation: e-discovery in federal multidistrict litigation (MDL) and state court litigation.
- Handled Fortune 500 Company’s product liability litigation including benzene, coal tar pitch, mold welding rod, and construction, warranty and industrial product cases, on a national basis.
- Represented international manufacturer of natural rubber latex gloves as national counsel in over 350 cases filed in over 35 states and MDL in Philadelphia.
- Represented international constructor of power plants in all asbestos litigation filed in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia.
- Represented national blasting products manufacturer in multiple asbestos cases filed in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, resulting in dismissal of all cases without any payment.
- Defended manufacturers of medical devices, food and beverage, electrical equipment, and toxic and hazardous substances, including chemicals (e.g. toluene and perchloroethylene), lubricants such as Teflon and Kryton, asbestos, and uranium mill tailings.
- Represented three plaintiffs in products liability and medical malpractice claims which resulted in multi-million dollar settlements.
- Handled the defense of a $16 million counterclaim against a Pittsburgh based contractor in a Michigan non-jury trial which lasted five months.
- Successfully represented a client in Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) withdrawal and indemnification litigation in two separate trials, three appeals to the Pennsylvania Superior Court and two appeals to the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Handled a toxic chemical case in a wrongful death action against suppliers of chemicals and printing inks.
- Handled a seven figure construction claim against a supplier of metal panels used in the construction of a roof for a 30,000 seat sports and entertainment facility in North Dakota.
- Have handled preliminary injunction hearings in commercial and covenant not to compete matters.
- Have handled AAA and insurance arbitration hearings for cable TV and individual clients.
- Served as national litigation counsel for a manufacturer of sophisticated processing line equipment for use in the steel-making industry.
- Have served as a national litigation counsel for a leading manufacturer of underground mining equipment.
- Successfully represented a German manufacturer of a specialty coke oven product, a larrycar, in a wrongful death action.
- Advised corporate and high technology clients on warranty issues, as well as the review, preparation or revision of terms and conditions in purchase documents or transactional materials.
- Prepared and reviewed product warnings for clients, interfaced with insurance carriers and crafted litigation avoidance programs.