Michael T. Regan
Michael Regan focuses his practice on various intellectual property matters including trademark prosecution and litigation; copyright litigation, licensing of intellectual property; domain name enforcement; and general intellectual property counseling. He serves as a trusted advisors to his clients concerning matters relating to the maintenance, protection and enforcement of various intellectual property rights. Michael’s practice involves litigation and transactional matters for his clients, such as drafting various litigation filings in federal court proceedings, conducting trademark and copyright clearance searches, composing cease-and-desist letters and counseling clients on matters relating to trademark and copyright licensing. Michael’s experience involves working with clients in a wide range of industries, including the biotechnology, hospitality, insurance and retail fields.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Michael was employed by a global financial institution and with a start-up company in the financial tech industry.
- Represented various clients in trademark prosecution proceedings before the United States Patent & Trademark Office through responsive filings to Office action refusals.
- Engaged to defend a client in the retail goods industry in a case filed in federal court claiming various violations under the Copyright Act and Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Represented an insurance industry client in federal court litigation asserting claims of trademark infringement, unfair competition, and false advertising under the Lanham Act, along with various state law claim.
- Served as defense counsel in a copyright infringement suit representing defendant client in the hospitality industry against a photographer claiming infringing use of photographs supplied to defendant.
- Researched and drafted numerous responses advising clients on the use and ability to register potential trademarks after completing clearance searches and due diligence for the proposed marks.
- Involved in the compilation of evidence to be submitted during the testimony period for opposition of a trademark filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and in connection with a subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Completed internet domain diligence for numerous clients regarding potentially infringing use, by a third party, of client’s mark and drafted responses advising client of the use and determining whether further steps need to be taken.
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Achieve Now (formerly Philadelphia Reads), Volunteer
- Philadelphia SeniorLAW Center, Volunteer
Awards and Recognition:
- Outstanding Achievement in Intellectual Property Award, Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law
In his spare time, Michael enjoys experimenting in his kitchen with different recipes, spices and ingredients to create new entrees for his family and friends to enjoy. Michael credits his passion for cooking to his mother, with whom he still trades recipes.
When Michael is not in his kitchen preparing dishes, he enjoys playing golf, skiing and softball. Michael is also an avid Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia 76ers and Villanova Men’s Basketball fan.