Matthew C. Gill
Matt Gill is an experienced litigator who takes cases from pleadings up through trial. He routinely handles discovery (including e-discovery, depositions, and expert work) and dispositive motions along the way. Matt has represented health insurers, trade associations, C-suite executives, and energy companies in commercial matters nationwide. He’s also represented government agencies in employment litigation claims under Title VII, the ADA the PHRA, and the Rehabilitation Act and constitutional tort cases. Matt also has experience conducting internal investigations under the False Claims Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and the Securities Act.
Before joining Eckert Seamans, Matt served as a Deputy Attorney General in the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General and was in private practice for large law firms in Pittsburgh and Washington D.C. Matt is a technology enthusiast and Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
- Member of a team that defended a major egg-producer in $3 billion federal antitrust suit, resulting in a complete defense verdict.
- Prevailed in a week-long arbitration for a major natural gas exploration and production company in joint venture dispute.
- Won for Pennsylvania Department of Corrections in Eighth Amendment deliberate indifference federal jury trial tried on five days’ notice.
- Defended a renewable energy company’s Chief Financial Officer against a plaintiff alleging Securities Act violations, which ended with plaintiff dismiss all counts against CFO.
- Member of a team that investigated billing practices of a large health insurance company, resulting in the Department of Justice declining the sealed whistle blower complaint, which was later dismissed.
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Commercial Litigation
News and Insights
- “There is No Circuit Split Over Doctors’ FCA Liability,” Law360, May 18, 2020
- “Why Cryptocurrency businesses need to heed FinCEN’s onboarding regs,” American Banker, May 17, 2018
- “Assembling a Strong Complaint: How to Survive Motions to Dismiss and Preliminary Objections,” CLE presentation to the 2022 Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General Attorneys Conference, May 25, 2022.
Matt enjoys third wave coffee, board and strategy games, Pitt sports, Szechuan cooking, and he moonlights as a nurse in his daughter’s clinic for stuffed animals and toys.