Loudon "Hap" L. Campbell
Chair, Government Affairs
Hap Campbell focuses his practice in the area of government affairs, drawing on over 30 years of experience with the Pennsylvania legislative and regulatory processes. He represents and advocates for trade and professional associations and corporate clients from a variety of business sectors, including insurance, residential construction and development, land use and zoning, automotive, and licensed professionals.
His clients include an insurance industry trade association and insurance companies; builders associations and land owners, developers and builders; a major vehicle manufacturer; and various trade associations and their members, such as funeral service providers and funeral directors. Hap has litigated significant land use and zoning cases as well as professional licensing and state taxation cases, including realty transfer tax, insurance gross premium taxes, and sales and use tax cases. In the insurance sector he has also represented insurance companies and producers in regulatory compliance matters, including enforcement matters and market conduct investigations. He has handled numerous administrative appeals involving the validity of local building codes, as well as professional licensing enforcement matters for a variety of professionals. He has also provided counseling and representation and litigation regarding the validity of water and sewer tapping fees.
Hap is a member of the firm’s Regulated Substances Group, a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers and government affairs professionals who advise clients establishing and operating businesses involved in the financing, manufacturing, processing, distribution, marketing, and retail sale of marijuana for medical use where authorized by state law. He helps client navigate licensing and other complex legal and regulatory issues surrounding the fast-growing business of medical cannabis.
- Counsels and advocates for clients in legislative matters before the Pennsylvania General Assembly and in regulatory matters before state government agencies and local government entities.
- Counsels landowners, developers, and builders in the land development processes and residential construction regulations, participating in the development of key legislation affecting land development and residential construction, and successfully handling several precedent-setting land use cases.
- Counsels nonprofit professional and trade organizations and their for-profit subsidiaries regarding taxation, tax exemption, and antitrust matters.
- Counsels and represents licensed professionals in corporate and business organization matters, as well as matters involving professional and occupational licensing, compliance, and discipline.
- Counsels and represents licensed professionals, especially in the funeral profession, on the acquisition and sale of businesses and in licensing and compliance matters.
- Represents insurance companies and agents in compliance and enforcement matters before the Pennsylvania Insurance Department.
- SCG Legal, a worldwide network of leading law firms, Member of the Board of Directors
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Government Relations, Member
- Pennsylvania Builders Association, Member
News and Insights
- “Financial Security for Completion of Improvements in Development Projects” , Harrisburg Commercial Real Estate Review, November 2013.
- “Board of Vehicles Act: Major revision of Board of Vehicles Act signed into law,” co-author, Lawyers Journal, Allegheny County Bar Association, November 2009; Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, November 2009.
- “Effective Lobbying Through Coalition Building,” panelist, Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies legislative seminar, February 2011.
- “The Rules of the Game: Complying with State and Local Lobbyists Disclosure and Campaign Finance Law,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2010.
- Lecturer for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on land development issues.
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1974
B.S., LaSalle University, 1971