Lindsey Conrad Kennedy
Vice Chair, Women's Initiative at Eckert
Lindsey Conrad Kennedy helps employers navigate the labor and employment laws governing their relationships with their workforce. Whether she is counseling multi-state employers on leave of absence management, litigating a restrictive covenant case seeking emergency relief, investigating an internal #metoo complaint, or negotiating an executive employment agreement, Lindsey takes a proactive, business-minded approach to addressing these and other complex problems. Her experience includes both counseling and litigation under the major federal and state laws governing employment relationships. In addition to employment-related matters, she has also represented management in traditional labor matters.
Lindsey has practiced in both New York and Pennsylvania, representing a variety of employers in a variety of industries—from one of the world’s largest insurance brokers to a boutique spa. She regularly defends employers in court and agency proceedings but appreciates the need to avoid litigation before it arises and, where appropriate, to resolve disputes without costly court intervention.
Select representative matters include:
- Advising a Fortune 500 company in the life sciences industry regarding implementation of new paid leave policies and compliance with various state and local laws.
- Defending two large, international employers in employment discrimination cases brought by senior executives.
- Representing insurance broker in obtaining temporary and preliminary restraints enjoining insurance producers from violating their restrictive covenant agreements.
- Counseling higher education clients with respect to disability accommodations and the interplay between the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Investigating workplace harassment complaint and working with human resources and business leaders on remediation plan.
- Refreshing technology-related policies—e.g., social media, bring-your-own-device—for various employers.
- Defending multi-state healthcare organization in hybrid collective/class action under the FLSA and two state statutes.
- Counseling employer on workplace violence avoidance and precautionary measures in light of threats from former employee.
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
- ACBA’s Women’s Institute for Leadership in Law (WILL)
- Pittsburgh Human Resources Association
- Women’s Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
- Pennsylvania Women Work
- Reading is Fundamental
- Greenfield Community Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Labor and Employment Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment
News and Insights
- “COVID-19 Vaccinations in Independent Schools,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, July 16, 2021.
- “Overbroad “No-Hire” (a/k/a “No-Poach”) Provision Unenforceable in Pennsylvania: Five Takeaways from the Winning Trial Team at Eckert Seamans,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, May 13, 2021.
- “Minimizing employer liability related to COVID-19,” Eckert Seamans’ Construction Law Update, Fall 2020.
- “You’ve Been Warned: Navigating the WARN Act During the Pandemic,” co-author, Talent Management & HR.com, October 2020.
- “WARN Act warnings re: QSR COVID-19 layoffs,” co-author, QSRweb.com, September 2020.
- “Thinking About an Unlimited PTO Policy? Ask These Questions First,” Bloomberg Law, March 2019.
- “Does ADA Cover Accommodations For Transgender Workers?” Law360, January 2019.
- “With mask, vaccine mandates on the rise, employers have options — but consistency is key,” HR Dive, August 6, 2021. Also appeared on Waste Dive and Construction Dive.
- “Understanding The Gender Dysphoria Legal Battleground,” Law 360 Employment Authority, July 12, 2021
- “How Will America Return to Work? A Legal Perspective,” Supply Chain Brain, June 2021.
- “Do fans, media have the right to know about players’ vaccination status?” Yahoo! Sports, June 10, 2021.
- “Vaccine Rights: What Business, Employers Can and Cannot Do,” Newsy, May 2021.
- “Employers Face New Risks As Business Travel Returns,” Law360 Employment Authority, March 2021.
- “Covid policies: Should programs require contingents get vaccinated?” Contingent Workforce Strategies 3.0, January 2021.
- “Can Employers Require Employees to get the COVID-19 Vaccine?” Supply Chain Brain, January 2021.
- “How GCs Can Prepare For The COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout,” Law360, December 22, 2020.
- “Can Employers Mandate Vaccine?” WTAE Pittsburgh’s Action Four News (ABC affiliate), December 15, 2020.
- “Coming up on six months of temporary layoffs, some businesses might need to change how they report job losses,” Pittsburgh Post Gazette, October 2020.
- “Workers See OT Claims Against Pa. State Contractor Tossed,” Law360, January 2020.
- “Best practices for crafting a PTO policy – and getting workers to use it,” HR Dive, May 2019.
- “Young In BigLaw: How To Use It To Your Advantage” quoted, Law360. March 2016.
- “COVID-19 & Employment Law: Where Are We Now?” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Legal Primer Virtual CLE (Part 1), April 14, 2021. (recording)
- “Employers’ Role and Rights in COVID-19 Vaccinations,” panelist, American Public Gas Association webinar, February 2021.
- “An Eckert Seamans Tribute to Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” panelist, October 20, 2020.
- “WARN Act: Class Action Lawsuits Loom as Furloughs Approach Six Month Mark,” webinar co-presenter, September 2020.
- “Workplace Violence Law: Minimizing Claims and Complying With Regulations Under Federal and State Law,” presenter, Strafford CLE program, February 2020.
- “News You Can Use: A review of recent judicial, legislative, and regulatory developments of significance to employers,” co-presented at Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, November 2019.
- “Disability Discrimination in Employment & Beyond: What You Need to Know,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2019.
- “Violence in the Workplace: The legal framework and best practices for preventing, investigating, and responding to employers’ worst fear: violence and threats of violence at work,” presented at Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, April 2019.
- “How to Conduct Effective (and Legal) Internal Investigations,” presented at Pittsburgh Human Resources Association’s HR Academy, March 2018.
- “News You Can Use,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, May 2016.
- “The Potholes, Pitfalls, and Perils of Employment Policies, and How to Avoid Them,” co-presented with Clare Gallagher, Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, May 2015.
- “News You Can Use: A review of recent judicial, legislative, and regulatory developments of significance to employers,” co-presented with Clare Gallagher, Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, January 2015.