Kelly Robreno Koster
Kelly Robreno Koster concentrates her practice in complex commercial litigation. She represents corporate clients in intricate cases involving contract issues, in both individual plaintiff and class action lawsuits, and defends employers against claims related to discrimination, termination, restrictive covenants, FLSA classification, and statutory employee benefits. Kelly also provides litigation-preventive counseling for employers by reviewing and drafting personnel policies, handbooks, and other employment documentation. Prior to rejoining Eckert Seamans, Kelly served as general counsel of an international temporary staffing company in New York City.
Following law school, Kelly served as a law clerk to former Chief Judge Jose L. Linares of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of a national insurance company by demonstrating that insurance companies are not subject to the New York Banking Law;
- Successfully defended a luxury hotel owner/operator against a former employee’s claims of pregnancy discrimination by demonstrating that plaintiff was terminated for legitimate reasons that were not a pretext for discrimination;
- Negotiated and enforced a settlement agreement against a creditor adversary who attempted to change the terms of the agreement after it determined that its attorney had “given up too much” in the negotiations; and
- Plans and guides employers through individual termination or disciplinary actions and the administration and implementation of policies to comply with such federal and state laws as the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), New York City Paid Sick Leave Act and their record keeping, posting and reporting obligations.
- New York County Lawyers’ Association
- Board Member, Dobbs Ferry Public Library
- NYC Cornelians
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in New York Metro Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star”
- Profiled in Vanguard Magazine’s June 2018 issue.
News and Insights
- “New I-9 Form” , Eckert Seamans' Labor & Employment Alert, February 2020.
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 2009; Editor, American University International Law Review; Member of Moot Court Honor Society
B.S. Cornell University, 2006