Kathryn A. English
Chair, Business Division
Board of Directors
Kate English is Chair of Eckert Seamans’ Business Division. She practices exclusively in the employee benefits area, working with global public companies and privately held companies of all sizes regarding Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), tax, and executive compensation matters. She provides advice and counseling concerning compliance with ERISA, tax, and other related laws, and provides support in litigation and collective bargaining. Kate represents clients before federal agencies responsible for regulation of employee benefits. She assists companies going through mergers and acquisitions with assessing liabilities related to employee benefits and determining how to best transition benefits in such circumstances. Kate also provides advice concerning compliance with the reporting, fiduciary responsibility, and prohibited transactions requirements of Title I of ERISA, and assists employers with matters relating to multiemployer plans, including multiemployer pension plan withdrawal liability.
Kate is a regular speaker on employee benefits topics.
- Represents employers on a variety of employee benefits matters, including the design and ongoing administration of qualified retirement plans, health and other welfare plans, deferred compensation plans, and stock option and other incentive arrangements, including the requirements of Internal Revenue Code Section 409A.
- Represents employers and other ERISA plan fiduciaries in proceedings before the U.S. Department of Labor, including submissions under the Department’s Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program and requests for prohibited transaction exemptions.
- Represents employers in proceedings before the Internal Revenue Service, including filings under the Service’s Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System and requests for favorable determination letters for qualified plans.
- Represents employers in proceedings before the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, including requests for waiver of minimum funding requirements and negotiation of liability relating to facility shutdowns.
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America – Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2016 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Employee Benefits Alert: Changes in 2016 Annual Retirement Benefit and Related Limits,” October 2015.
- “Employee Benefits Alert: Affordable Care Act Update — Health Care Reporting for Employers,” August 2015.
- “Employee Benefits Alert: Fiduciary Training,” April 2015.
- “The Latest Word on Employee Benefits: Update on Affordable Care Act and Wellness Programs,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans Human Resource Forum, May 2016.
- “Health and Welfare Plan Update,” co-presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute ERISA Update, June 2015.
- “Affordable Care Act: Where Are We Now?” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ CLE, August 2014.
- “Assessing the Health/Welfare Plan Environment,” co-presenter, PBI ERISA Update, March 2013.
- “Hot Topics in Health Insurance,” co-presenter, PBI 16th Annual Insurance Institute, May 2012.
- “The Clock Ticks on Health Care Reform,” Eckert Seamans’ CLE, August 2011.