John L. Talvacchia
John Talvacchia is a senior corporate lawyer who focuses his practice on corporate and transactional services for domestic and international business and governmental entities. He is a skilled practitioner who acts as general counsel or supports in-house general counsel for middle market companies in several industry verticals, allowing clients to achieve timely, cost-effective business objectives in compliance with industry and commercial regulation. In this capacity, he provides issue identification in the context of business strategy discussions, suggests options for solution, creates compliance plans, and staffs the plans with legal specialists as necessary.
John also represents individuals and businesses in the organization, acquisition, sale, and financing of various commercial enterprises, including equity and debt offerings. He advises clients on merger and acquisition transactions and finance issues specific to growth companies. In addition, John represents domestic entities expanding operations to other countries and addresses organizational, tariff, tax and human resource management issues. His clients include manufacturers, retailers and service providers in such industries as technology (including life science, medical devices, software development, internet applications and hardware manufacturing and sales), concert hall instruments, bulk and specialty chemicals, commercial printing, land use, banking, broadcasting, power generation, transmission and distribution.
John previously served as counsel to the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities and as the general counsel of a diversified publicly traded company.
- Represents European Union-based companies expanding to the United States and coordinates structure and regulatory compliance with parent company counsel, allowing foreign companies to start business operations in compliance with U.S. laws, and within a tax-advantageous structure, both for the U.S. entity and the foreign parent.
- Represents publicly-traded companies in acquiring early stage technology companies. His venture funding experience helps the client understand the venture process and its documentation, as well as the target’s specific business challenges. For the client, the resulting acquisition achieves its business objectives where the target’s style, structure, and market often differ from that of publicly-traded companies.
- Represents privately held, middle-market, family-controlled enterprises in the pursuit of a “growth through acquisition” strategy consistent with the family’s values and business’ objectives. As a result, the families receive sophisticated representation that is client-focused and cost effective, while addressing the imperatives specific to privately held companies, as opposed to publicly-traded companies.
- Counsels clients on issues including regulatory compliance, employment matters (including compensation, stock options, and phantom stock plans), contracts, and real estate matters.
- Represents a medical device client contracting with suppliers in Japan, Korea, and China, as well as advising on corporate governance, product distribution, and FDA compliance.
- Represents an electronics distribution company contracting throughout Europe and in Mexico, Venezuela, and Russia as well as advising on corporate financing transactions and coordinating litigation defense.
- Negotiated contracts for concert hall instrument construction in Japan and Switzerland as well as domestic contracts and corporate governance.
- Represents and advises many nonprofit corporations, allowing clients such as educational and social service agencies, community development funding organizations, and parent/teacher organizations to pursue their missions while maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Association for Corporate Growth, Member and Former Board Member
- National Association of Corporate Directors, Member
- West Suburban YMCA, Inc., Former Board Member
- Partners for Youth with Disabilities, Inc., Former Board Member
- The Cooperative Fund of New England, Inc., Former Board Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Financial Structuring During a Volatile Market,” co-author, Bloomberg Law, June 2020.
- “Effective Legal Representation of Family Firm Clients,” a book chapter in Family Enterprises: How to Build Growth, Family Control and Family Harmony (Global Business Publishing, Ltd., March 2015).
- “Private equity aims for creativity amid difficult M&A environment,” Chemical Week, July 2020.
- “Challenges That Family Businesses Face” radio chat with Jeffrey Davis, the host of Radio Entrepreneurs, December 2018.
- “Who Will Clean Up on Clean Tech?” TheDealmaker.org, June 16, 2010.
- Guest Lecturer, Financing New Ventures, Boston University Questrom School of Business, April 2018.
- “Financing New Ventures,” panelist, Boston University’s Questrom School of Business, December 7, 2015.
- “Corporate Governance,” moderator, Family Enterprise Symposium at Babson College, October 15, 2015.
- “Frequent Mistakes made in M&A,” Neptune Advisors’ Pathway to Platinum seminar, October 2012.
- “Venture Financing,” Framingham State University, October 2014.
John is an athlete who has coached youth sports (soccer, basketball, baseball) for over 20 years. Also, he actively participates in parent/teacher organizations and school arts programs.