John J. McCague
John McCague focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, debt and equity financings, corporate governance, and general corporate matters. He represents public and private companies in business transactions and financial and strategic investors in leveraged buy-outs, as well as management teams in management buy-outs. Such representation encompasses deal structure and strategy, transaction documentation, financing issues, and the due diligence process.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed defense contractor in a $300 million merger of equals. Negotiated merger documents and counseled the company’s board of directors on its fiduciary duties under Delaware law.
- Represented a public company in $100 million sale of its wholly-owned subsidiary to a Wall Street venture fund.
- Represented management in a $65 million management buy-out of the North American operations of a printing and publishing company from the publicly-owned European parent, including negotiation of management’s “equity promote,” the buyer’s asset based credit facility, and the common and preferred stock investment by a financial investor.
- Represented a publicly-owned NYSE-listed holding company of steel service centers in the sale of 12 non-core businesses to strategic investors in several 363 bankruptcy transactions, realizing sales proceeds of approximately $75 million, which enabled the company to emerge from bankruptcy (Pre-bankruptcy, served as “deal counsel” in the company’s acquisition of ten steel service center companies through stock purchase, asset purchase and merger transactions).
- Represented a Delaware printing and publishing holding company in the sale of its four operating subsidiaries, three through asset purchase transactions, and the fourth through a stock sale, generating aggregate sale proceeds of approximately $60 million.
- Represented “stalking horse” financial buyer in the $25 million purchase of a steel industry supplier in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy transaction, including negotiating the purchase agreement, term loan, working capital credit facility, and mezzanine loan (with warrants), assisting with various Pennsylvania state funding programs, conducting due diligence and meeting with the U.S. Department of Justice regarding antitrust issues.
- Represented a private company in a $22 million strategic acquisition of an industry related private company.
- Represents on a regular basis both accredited investors and qualified purchasers in hedge funds and venture capital investments, including purchase and sale of investments and redemptions.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- TurnAround Management Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, member of the Board of Directors (2017 – present)
- American Cancer Society, former member of the Board of Directors (2003 – 2007, 2008 – 2014); former Executive Committee Board Member (2008 – 2009); Member, Larry Richards Celebrity Golf Tournament Committee Member (2003 – 2018)
- Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh, Advisory Committee
- Washington & Jefferson College, former member of the Alumnae Executive Council (2006 – 2014); former Vice President (2010 – 2012); former President (2012 – 2014)
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2006 – 2007; 2009 – 2013)
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Mergers & Acquisitions,” Carnegie Mellon University Tepper School of Business, January 2009, January 2010, January, 2011.
- “Section 363 Transactions,” Pittsburgh Chapter of TurnAround Management Association (TMA), February 2008.