Joel L. Lennen
Joel Lennen has a broad range of experience in complex commercial, construction, class action, and environmental litigation. In addition, he has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating procurement, construction and consultant, and advising on contract administration. He devotes a substantial part of his practice to representing public authorities and currently acts as the outside general counsel for Port Authority of Allegheny County.
- Joel has worked on numerous class action cases in federal and state courts throughout the country as lead attorney on behalf of defendants. These matters have included:
- Defendant manufacturer sued on a nation-wide basis under various federal and state statutes claiming that the plaintiffs were not independent contractors but employees.
- Defendant manufacturer sued on a state-wide basis on claims that plaintiffs were statutory franchisees.
- Class action claims brought under theories of negligence, nuisance, and trespass alleging that members of community had been exposed on a long-term basis to materials handled by defendant.
- Claims brought on behalf of a portion of the residents of a county based upon claims that they had been exposed from an accidental release at a manufacturing facility.
- Handled construction-related litigation involving transportation systems and other large construction projects, lawsuits over the performance of supply contracts, litigation involving shareholder liability issues under Superfund legislation for the clean-up of hazardous substances at facilities across the United States, and defense and prosecution of franchise and distributor claims.
- Represented litigants in various state and federal courts and in commercial and construction arbitrations.
- Represented public transit authorities, public sewer authorities, and urban redevelopment authorities in construction, eminent domain, contract, and other matters.
- Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh, elementary school reading mentor