Jodi Dyan Oley
Jodi Dyan Oley has over a decade of experience in civil litigation in state and federal courts. Her national practice includes representation of product liability, construction, Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA), and transportation matters. She is also experienced in litigation of toxic tort, mass tort, construction, and class action matters. Jodi represents multiple manufacturers, including manufacturers of automobiles, automotive component parts, consumer products, industrial equipment, and motorcycles. She has extensive experience in discovery and case coordination and has been appointed national discovery counsel for an international automotive manufacturer and acts as regional trial counsel for a national motorcycle manufacturer.
Jodi is also a member of the firm’s Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Autonomous Transportation Systems practice group. Her work in this group focuses on regulatory aspects of artificial intelligence, particularly as it relates to the autonomous vehicle industry. Jodi is a co-editor of the firm’s Artificial Intelligence Law Blog and is the current chair of DRI’s Product Liability Committee’s Automotive Specialized Litigation Group.
- Kostryckyj v. Pentron Lab. Tech., 52 A.3d 333 (Pa. Super. 2012) The Pennsylvania Superior Court affirmed the lower court’s grant of a motion for summary judgment, holding that the exclusivity provision of the Workers’ Compensation Act (77 P.S. § 481(a)) controlled where evidence to support the exception was lacking.
- Instrumental in protecting a tire manufacturer’s trade secret formulas on appeal before the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, proving that the formulas were not relevant and not necessary because they could not in themselves indicate whether the manufactured product was defective
- Defense Research Institute, Product Liability Committee
- Automotive Specialized Litigation Group Chair
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Penn State Professional Women’s Network of Philadelphia; Past President (2010-2012), Former Board Member and Technology Chair (2009-2010)
- Wills for Heroes, County Coordinator for Chester County
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who in American Law
- Selected by the Pennsylvania Bar Association to receive the Verdina Y. Showell Award for outstanding community service and commitment to the Wills for Heroes program
News and Insights
- Autonomous Vehicle Legislative Survey, compiled by Jodi Dyan Oley, Karen O. Moury, and Monakee D. Marseille, updated quarterly since October 2018.
- “New Legislation Creates Enhanced Duties for Manufacturers of Children’s Products: It’s Time to Get the Lead Out,” co-authored, Mass Tort Journal, American Bar Association.
- “Lack of Reliable Foundation,” a chapter appearing in The Daubert Compendium (2011).
- “The Future of Strict Liability Law in Pennsylvania: Is Change Foreseeable?” American Bar Association’s Mass Torts Litigation Journal, Spring 2011, Vol. 9, No. 3 and the American Bar Association’s Products Liability Newsletter, Summer 2011, Vol. 22, No. 2., May 2011.
- “AV Governance: Federal and State Perspectives,” panelist at the Pennsylvania Automated Vehicles Summit 2019, September 2019.
- “An Update to the Autonomous Vehicle Legislative Survey,” panelist at the Product Liability Advisory Council webinar, March 15, 2019.
- “Defending Traditional Automotive Product Defect Actions in 2018 and Beyond: Spotlight on Roof Strength, Seat Back Deformities and Ejection Mitigation Theories” panelist at ACI Automotive Product Liability Litigation Conference. July 19-20, 2018.
- “Spoliation of the Subject Vehicle: Dude Where’s Your Car?” DRI Product Liability Conference in Phoenix, AZ, April 2014.
- Prepared the Product Liability Case Law Update for the Third Circuit, DRI Product Liability Conference, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- “Have Foreign Plaintiffs Become Shopaholics? Responding to Global Forum Shopping,” DRI Product Liability Conference in New Orleans, LA, April 2011.