Jill R. Cohen
Jill Cohen divides her practice between complex commercial litigation and employment litigation. Jill is experienced in representing corporations, executives and publicly traded companies in intricate cases involving securities, class action defense, and contract issues, in both individual plaintiff and class action law suits.
Jill’s employment experience includes representing, counseling and training employers regarding a variety of employment matters, including discrimination, retaliation, harassment, employee disciplinary issues, individual and group termination, and wage and hour issues. Jill practices before New Jersey and New York federal and state courts, and represents clients before an array of governmental and administrative agencies and arbitration associations, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, New Jersey Division of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Labor, and New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
As a law student, Jill served as an extern for the Hon. Richard W. Goldberg, Senior Judge of the U.S. Court of International Trade, and was also a member of the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal. Prior to practicing law, she served as the director of immigrant outreach in the Business and Labor Bureau of the Office of Massachusetts Attorney General Tom Reilly, where she gained significant experience with wage and hour law.
Her personal interests include international politics, art history, theater, tennis, and travel.
- Represents an international snack food manufacturer and distributor against class action claims that independent delivery operators working under a distributor agreement are in fact franchisees entitled to various protections and prohibitions on termination found in state franchise practices acts.
- Represents German thermal analysis equipment manufacturer in variety of matters including suit brought by minority shareholder against company as well as employment counseling matters.
- Represents university in variety of litigation matters, including wrongful termination and personal injury matters.
- Represented university bookstore in lawsuit brought by former manager alleging employee misclassification, seeking several hundred thousand dollars in overtime back pay and damages.
- Represents second largest worldwide light and materials company in variety of matters, including single plaintiff employment matters and personal injury claims, and provides counseling on employment law-related matters.
- Assisted with counseling largest American multinational banking and financial services holding company in significant reduction in force during late-2000 financial crisis.
- Represented several major companies including United States airline and American food service company in several single plaintiff employee lawsuits alleging wrongful termination and related claims.
- Assisted in representation of Canadian insurance company in multimillion-dollar securities fraud case against acquired insurance company.
- Mercer County Bar Association
- Mercer County American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- High School Mock Trial Coach
- Beth El Synagogue, Board Member and Executive Committee Member
- Bristol Riverside Theatre, Board of Trustees (September 2018 – Present)
News and Insights
- “An employment lawyer shares 10 ways to avoid ho, ho, horror stories at a company party,” The Ladders, December 10, 2018.
- “Misclassification Headaches: Understand the difference between employees and independent contractors” , HR Magazine, December 2015.
- “Answering Your Questions on NJ’s ‘Ban-The-Box’ Law” , Law 360, September 2014.
- “What Managers Need to Know About the FMLA,” HR Today (online publication of the Society for Human Resource Management), October 2018.
- “How Do Recreational Marijuana Laws Affect the Workplace?” Society of Human Resources Management Online News, January 17, 2018.
- “Update on New Jersey’s Legal Landscape,” New Jersey Business, January 1, 2018.
- “Legal challenges for business entities who take part in NJ’s proposed legal marijuana industry,” Issues and Ideas radio program with Chris DeBello, December 2017.
- “Ugly Policy Alleged at NBC: Only Beautiful People Need Apply,” Society of Human Resources Management Online News, August 8, 2017.
- “Expansive Employment Laws Proliferate: States and cities adopt rules that go beyond what federal employment laws require,” HR Magazine, July 20, 2017.
- “NJ Courts’ Guidance Sought in Suits by Workers Fired for Medicinal Pot Usage,” New Jersey Law Journal, March 9, 2017.
- “Employers Hazy on Medical Marijuana at Work,” U.S. 1 Newspaper, March 1, 2017.
- “Legal Updates and Enforcement Trends: How They Impact Your Company” and “Marijuana, Drug Testing, Alcohol and More: Current Legal Perspectives,” presented at National Business Institute (NBI) seminar “Human Resource Law: The Ultimate Guide.” November 2019.
- “What Women Should Think About When Returning to the Workforce,” presented on behalf of the New Jersey State Bar Association, to the Bergen Career Center, Center for Displaced Homemakers, September 2019.
- “Office Holiday Parties: Legal Do’s and Don’ts,” presented for NBI, November 2018.
- “Managing FMLA and ADA Leave,” Applying HR Law to Everyday Issues, NBI, December 6, 2017.
- “Medical Marijuana in the Workplace,” Greater Princeton Human Resource Association,” May 11, 2017.
- “Medical Marijuana in the Workplace,” Princeton Society for Human Resources Management, March 2017.
- “Wage and Hour Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them,” Human Resource Law from A to Z, NBI, December 2016.
- “Introduction to Arbitration for Potential Expert Witnesses/Consultants,” co-presented to the accounting firm of EisnerAmper LLP, June 2016.
- “News to Know – Recent Developments in Employment Law,” co-presenter, New Jersey Bankers Association, April 2015.
Denise A. Reynolds
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2005
B.A., cum laude, Barnard College, Columbia University, 2001