Jeffrey P. Lewis
Jeff Lewis represents clients in all aspects of civil litigation, including legal malpractice, intellectual property, insurance broker/agent professional liability, insurance coverage, wrongful use of civil proceedings, abuse of process, wage payment collection, and other commercial litigation.
Jeff is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He has appeared before Courts in many Pennsylvania counties as well as in the courts of other states, including New Jersey, New York, Illinois, and California.
Jeff dedicates his time to serving the community and the legal profession, including recent service on the boards of Legal Aid of Southeast Pennsylvania, Community Impact Legal Services, Upper Uwchlan Township Municipal Authority, Advisory Committee to Villanova University Paralegal Program, the Editorial Board of The Legal Intelligencer, Zone Nine Delegate to the Pennsylvania House of Delegates, and the Chester County Bar Association Board of Directors. He currently serves on the Pennsylvania Bar Association Professional Liability Committee.
Jeff lectures frequently, mostly on legal professional liability issues for PBI, PBA Professional Liability Committee and the American Bar Institute.
For the last 10 years Jeff has written a monthly column on legal professional liability issues for a PBA journal, for which he has received a PBA Board of Governors’ 2013 PBA Special Achievement Award.
Prior to joining Eckert Seamans, he was a shareholder in the law firm of McKissock & Hoffman, P.C.
- Chester County Bar Association, Board of Directors (1984-86; 1998-2000); Executive Committee (1985); and Former Chair of Judicial Evaluation, Continuing Legal Education, and Membership committees
- Legal Aid of Southeast Pennsylvania, Inc., Board of Directors
- Community Impact Legal Services, Inc., Board of Directors and Former Chairman
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Professional Liability Committee, Co-Chair and Delegate from Zone 9, P.B.A. House of Delegates (2001- present)
- Villanova Paralegal Advisory Board
- The Legal Intelligencer, Editorial Board
- Previously served on the Municipal Authority of Upper Uwchlan Township
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Awarded the 2013 PBA Special Achievement Award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association Board of Governors
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “What the Attorney Says in the Underlying Action Is Not an Admission in the Subsequent Malpractice Action” , Pennsylvania Bar News, June 2019.
- “Electronic Social Media and Judicial Recusal – Revisited” , Pennsylvania Bar News, May 2019.
- “Actionable Legal Malpractice: Tort or Breach of Contract?” , Pennsylvania Bar News, November 2018.
- “Professional Liability Policy Does Not Cover for Intentional Bad Result or for Intentional Misconduct” , Pennsylvania Bar News, August 2018.
- “Lender Funding Lawsuit Cannot Enforce Commitment by Counsel Representing the Client to Pay Lender Out of the Settlement Proceeds in His Escrow Account” , Pennsylvania Bar News, July 2018.
- “The Viability of a Legal Malpractice Claim Rests Upon the Existence of Actual Harm” , Pennsylvania Bar News, May 2018.
- “Can a Lawyer Who Has Formerly Withdrawn His Appearance Incur Liability for Subsequent Events in the Case?” , Pennsylvania Bar News, April 2018.
- “Splitting Fee with a Nonlawyer” , Pennsylvania Bar News, February 2018.
- “What is “Favorable Termination” for Purposes of Assert a Dragonetti Claim?” , Pennsylvania Bar News, January 2018.
- “Malpractice Claim for Failure to Record a Right of First Refusal” , Pennsylvania Bar News, January 2010.
- “Recent Developments in Legal Malpractice Jurisprudence,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2019.
- “Professional Liability: What You Don’t Know May Hurt You,” Ethics and Professional Practice Workshop, American Law Institute, December 2014.
- “Ethics: Title Litigation Claims, Transactions Gone Wild and Other Real Estate Disclosures: How To Avoid Ethical Nightmares,” Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, December 2013.
- “2013 Attorney Professional Liability Update,” co-presenter, General Practitioners’ Update, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2013.
- “Ethical Perils in Commercial Practice–Who Really Is Your Client,” 16th Annual Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, December 2012.
- “Avoiding Legal Malpractice,” Monroe County Bar Association, March 21, 2012.
- Lectured for Continuing Legal Education programs sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Chester County Bar Association, and the Professional Liability Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., The Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University, 1978
B.A., magna cum laude, Ithaca College, 1975