Jeffrey P. Brundage
Jeff Brundage focuses his practice on commercial litigation, representing companies in state court, federal court, and before administrative proceedings. His primary clients include utilities, energy suppliers, and telecommunications companies. Jeff also defends these same companies in class-action litigation. Jeff has significant experience defending attorneys in professional liability cases, products liability, and litigating personal injury, commercial contract, and collections matters. In addition, he has represented state government entities, billion-dollar privately-held companies, and has experience in employment disputes. He also has represented Veterans before the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims on a reduced fee basis and regularly provides pro bono services in Washington, D.C. and Virginia.
- Drafted and argued brief before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals regarding unemployment compensation dispute.
- Represented Veteran in the United States Court of Appeal for Veterans Claims seeking disability benefits for wartime service connection.
- Represented a utility company that was sued for trespass and injunctive relief when a developer bought property for approximately $20 million and discovered the utility company’s fiber optic lines outside of the right-of-way, allegedly delaying the construction project. Jeff ascertained the weaknesses in the developer’s case, including intrinsic developer construction delays, presented the same during a settlement conference, and obtained an easement for the client, obviating the need for a costly trial.
- Independently litigated seven-figure insurance defense (including legal malpractice) and commercial cases in Maryland, Virginia, and D.C. state and federal courts while minimizing client and carrier costs.
- Represented billion-dollar landscaping company in litigation in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland courts.
- Successfully defended $1 million legal malpractice case against associate and law firm on dispositive motion.
- Successfully dismissed bar complaints against clients.
- Analyzed primary and umbrella insurance policies to draft coverage opinions.
- Represented office of a sitting state governor in a federal grand jury investigation.
- Represented financial institutions in litigation in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland state and federal Courts.
- Drafted and argued brief before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit regarding unemployment compensation dispute.
- Represented telecommunications company in carrier rate dispute against AT&T in federal court.
- Represented utility company in access charge and ownership dispute against Amtrak in federal court.
- A state consumer protection division began an investigation into an energy company and issued it subpoenas for documents. Jeff successfully defended the company, managing the state attorney’s expectations and coordinated the production of documents, eventually leading to the closure of the investigation with no charges filed.
- Defended energy company in class action lawsuit in federal court.
- Represented foreign airlines in successful mitigation and withdrawal of penalties and fines from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Transportation Security Administration.
- Defended a state government against allegations of gerrymandering in federal court.
- Represented motorcycle manufacturer in products liability litigation.
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Washington D.C. Super Lawyers – Rising Star (2015 – 2018)
A native of Fairfax, Virginia, Jeff maintains his strong ties to the community through pro bono work at Catholic Charities and community service. He is a sports enthusiast who enjoys playing basketball and is an avid fan D.C. sports teams. He can also be found hiking in the Shenandoah Valley.
District of Columbia
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims
J.D., with honors, George Washington University Law School, 2010
B.A., magna cum laude, James Madison University, 2007