James D. Dinnage
Jim Dinnage is a member of Eckert Seaman’s Business Division. He has practiced law for over 30 years in England and the United States, both in private practice and in-house.
Prior to joining the firm in 2013, he served as mergers and acquisitions counsel with E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, based in Wilmington, Delaware. Previously, he served as general counsel and secretary of various affiliates including DuPont Performance Elastomers LLC and Invista Inc. prior to its sale to Koch Industries.
- As an in-house attorney at DuPont, his practice embraced many legal subject areas including commercial, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, labor and employment, corporate and securities, tax, litigation, compliance, antitrust, and joint ventures.
- Served as counsel to a variety of businesses and functions including fibers, imaging systems, polymer products, elastomers, oil and gas (at Conoco when it was a wholly owned subsidiary of DuPont), industrial biosciences, and finance.
- In private practice in the 1990s, he handled Eurobond issuances, international financings, and competition law matters for numerous clients.
- From 2010-2013, served as lead counsel for a number of major transactions, including the $4.9-billion sale of DuPont’s Performance Coatings business to affiliates of The Carlyle Group (automotive and industrial paints).
- Adjunct Faculty, Villanova University Law School (EU Law) and Widener Law School (In-House Counsel Skills)
- International Bar Association
- St. Anne’s Lutheran Church in London, Former Council Chairman
- Delaware Branch of the Royal Society of St. George, Co-founder and Treasurer
- LCS Capital Campaign Committee (Wilmington, Delaware)
Awards and Recognition:
- George Long Prize For Jurisprudence (Cambridge University)
News and Insights
- “So You Want to Be an In-House Lawyer?” , Corporate Counsel, May 2014.
- James Dinnage and Jean-Luc Laffineur, The Constitutional Law of the European Union., 3d ed. LexisNexis publications, 2012.
- Omari Scott Simmons and James Dinnage, Innkeepers: A unifying theory of the In-House Counsel Role, Seton Hall Law Review, January 2011.
- The European Union after Lisbon: Is the Ugly Duckling a Swan Yet? Festschrift for John Murphy, Villanova Law Review, October 2011.
- “Legal aspects of the European banking and fiscal crisis,” Drexel University School of Law, May 2012.
- “Cross border M&A,” panelist, Garrett Institute, May 2013.