James A. Pellow, III
Jim Pellow focuses his practice in the areas of commercial real estate; oil and gas; corporate law; finance; contracts; and business transactions in general. Jim is experienced in the full range of commercial real estate transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, deeds, easements, office and retail leases, title and survey, and mortgage lending. He also has an active oil and gas practice, representing gas producers in various transactions.
- Development, purchase, and sale of shopping centers, business parks, office buildings, and other commercial properties.
- Mortgage based financing as counsel to both borrowers and lenders.
- Real estate syndications as counsel to both developers and investors.
- Commercial leases, including retail, office, flex space, and other leasing matters, as counsel to both landlords and tenants.
- Billboard acquisitions and related transactions.
- Representation of real estate brokers and property managers.
Oil & Gas:
- Representation of producers and operators in the leasing, farmout, sale, and assignment of oil and gas interests.
- Representation of a large regional energy company in drafting and revising oil and gas lease forms.
- Representation of a regional gas company as local counsel in sale of 100,000 acres of oil and gas properties in Pennsylvania, including advice on gas leases and title curative matters, ongoing quiet title actions, and Pennsylvania law.
- Representation of oil and gas working interest owners in an action against the operator for an accounting under the Joint Operating Agreement.
- Representation of holders of well participation rights in an action to enjoin the Operator from drilling imprudent wells.
- Representation of a gas lessee who sought to terminate its farmout agreement and recover the acreage where the farmoutee failed to timely commence drilling of required gas wells.
- Representation of a group of oil and gas lessees in the negotiation of an option agreement for the proposed development of a gas storage reservoir covering 18,000 acres.
- Documenting solar panel/electricity generating facilities on commercial buildings, including the drafting of power purchase agreements, facility leases and financing documents. Projects include solar installations on the Carnegie Science Center, on the RIDC Hazelwood Greens and Mill 19 Projects, and on various local college and private school campuses.
General Business Matters:
- Acquisitions of going business concerns including equity, mezzanine, and bank financing.
- Advises clients regarding contracts and other day-to-day business matters.
- Assists corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies from initial formation and capitalization through merger, dissolution, and winding up activities.
- Represents both lenders and borrowers in asset-based and mortgage-based financing.
- Commercial real estate and oil & gas litigation.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Marcellus Shale Coalition
- Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Broker
News and Insights
- “Pennsylvania Supreme Court Issues Decision Involving “Rule of Capture”,” Pratt’s Energy Law Report, May 2020.
- “PA Supreme Court rules on Briggs v. Southwestern Energy and the Rule of Capture,” Eckert Seamans’ Energy Alert February 2020.
- “Fracking and the Rule of Capture,” Pratt’s Energy Law Report, October 2018.
- “Fracking and the Rule of Capture,” Eckert Seamans’ Energy Alert April 2018.
- “Solar Panels Aren’t A Public Nuisance, Says A Recent Court Decision Regarding Neighbor’s Objection To Solar Panel Installation,” Eckert Seamans’ Energy Alert April 2017.
- “Nearly $200,000 in attorney fees sought in oil, gas lease fight,” Westlaw Journal Environmental, January 18, 2017.
- “10 Hot Topics in Leasing 2017,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2017.
- “Analyzing Land Surveys,” presented at the National Business Institute program Real Estate Transactions From A to Z, March 2016.
- “Legal Update: Mechanics’ Lien Law, Warranty Provisions and Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act,” co-presenter, Builders Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh’s Professional Education and Building Industry Trade Show, February, 2015.
- “Negotiating Key Contract Provisions,” co-presenter, Fracking Law seminar, National Business Institute, August 13, 2012.
- Oil and gas leasing, co-presented with LuAnn Datesh, vice president of Land Resources for CONSOL Energy, CONSOL Land Super School, March 26, 2012.
- “What’s New In Mineral Rights,” What You Need to Know About Mineral Law NOW, National Business Institute Program, December, 2011.