James A. Pellow, III
Jim Pellow focuses his practice in the areas of commercial real estate, corporate, and business law; finance; contracts; and business transactions. He represents clients engaged in commercial real estate development and office and retail leasing. Jim is experienced in the full range of commercial real estate transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, deeds, easements, leases, title and survey, and mortgage lending. He also has an active oil and gas practice, representing gas producers in various transactions.
- Development, purchase, and sale of shopping centers, business parks, office buildings, and other commercial properties.
- Mortgage based financing as counsel to both borrowers and lenders.
- Real estate syndications as counsel to both developers and investors.
- Commercial leases, including retail, office, flex space, and other leasing matters, as counsel to both landlords and tenants.
- Billboard acquisitions and related transactions.
- Representation of real estate brokers and property managers.
Oil & Gas:
- Representation of producers and operators in the leasing, farmout, sale, and assignment of oil and gas interests.
- Representation of a large regional energy company in drafting and revising oil and gas lease forms.
- Representation of a regional gas company as local counsel in sale of 100,000 acres of oil and gas properties in Pennsylvania, including advice on gas leases and title curative matters, ongoing quiet title actions, and Pennsylvania law.
- Representation of oil and gas working interest owners in an action against the operator for an accounting under the Joint Operating Agreement.
- Representation of holders of well participation rights in an action to enjoin the Operator from drilling imprudent wells.
- Representation of a gas lessee who sought to terminate its farmout agreement and recover the acreage where the farmoutee failed to timely commence drilling of required gas wells.
- Representation of a group of oil and gas lessees in the negotiation of an option agreement for the proposed development of a gas storage reservoir covering 18,000 acres.
General Business Matters:
- Acquisitions of going business concerns including equity, mezzanine, and bank financing.
- Advises clients regarding contracts and other day-to-day business matters.
- Assists corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies from initial formation and capitalization through merger, dissolution, and winding up activities.
- Represents both lenders and borrowers in asset-based and mortgage-based financing.
- Commercial real estate and oil & gas litigation.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Marcellus Shale Coalition
- Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Broker
News and Insights
- “Fracking and the Rule of Capture,” Pratt’s Energy Law Report, October 2018.
- “Solar Panels Aren’t A Public Nuisance, Says A Recent Court Decision Regarding Neighbor’s Objection To Solar Panel Installation”
- “Nearly $200,000 in attorney fees sought in oil, gas lease fight,” Westlaw Journal Environmental, January 18, 2017.
- “10 Hot Topics in Leasing 2017,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2017.
- “Analyzing Land Surveys,” presented at the National Business Institute program Real Estate Transactions From A to Z, March 2016.
- “Legal Update: Mechanics’ Lien Law, Warranty Provisions and Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act,” co-presenter, Builders Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh’s Professional Education and Building Industry Trade Show, February, 2015.
- “Negotiating Key Contract Provisions,” co-presenter, Fracking Law seminar, National Business Institute, August 13, 2012.
- Oil and gas leasing, co-presented with LuAnn Datesh, vice president of Land Resources for CONSOL Energy, CONSOL Land Super School, March 26, 2012.
- “What’s New In Mineral Rights,” What You Need to Know About Mineral Law NOW, National Business Institute Program, December, 2011.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1981
B.A., The Pennsylvania State University, 1976