Ira S. Lefton
Ira Lefton focuses his practice on commercial litigation with a primary emphasis on litigation relating to real estate. He has considerable experience in real estate litigation matters involving lender liability and other lender/borrower issues; enforceability of term sheets; letters of intent and real estate contracts; lease and zoning disputes, including licenses and easements; mortgage foreclosures; and compliance with pre-closing conditions for commercial real estate loans. He also handles matters concerning financing and financial services disputes; deficiency proceedings; warranty disputes and other remedies of commercial lenders; disputes over repair obligations; tenant improvement provisions and termination clauses; and premises liability.
Ira has an extensive background in construction litigation, serving as lead counsel in Pennsylvania for all cases on behalf of the largest manufacturer of EIFS (synthetic stucco). He has also done significant work in the product liability field involving pharmaceuticals and medical devices, engineered products, and asbestos and mold, and has handled antitrust litigation, contractual dispute litigation, and numerous intellectual property litigations.
- Coordinated and supervised all aspects of high-stakes product liability lawsuits in Philadelphia for a major pharmaceutical company, including working closely with client in house counsel, National Defense Counsel and scores of attorneys from a dozen firms throughout the nation; also served on National Prescriber Team to depose prescribers of the medication in dispute.
- As principal counsel throughout Pennsylvania for the nation’s leading manufacturer of synthetic stucco secured numerous summary judgments (including establishing Pennsylvania precedent) for client and its regional distributor and achieved and enforced cost effective settlements, including favorable precedent upholding nationwide validity of a class action certified in Tennessee state court. Obtained insurance coverage for the client’s distributor to provide additional defense counsel for client and distributor.
- Represented a national energy company with significant Philadelphia presence and heritage in numerous premises liability and construction related disputes. Obtained indemnification from third parties to provide full defense and indemnification in $1 million plus exposure cases. Obtained transfer of venue of high exposure case to less hostile jurisdiction early in the litigation.
- Handled product liability matter related to medical products (specialized forceps), mechanical products (milling machines, forklifts) and materials (plastic beads not meeting specifications, construction products). Obtained precedent setting summary judgment ruling regarding applicability of statute of repose; successfully invoked government contractor defense.
- Principal counsel for five site community-based Philadelphia health care provider, handling litigation, employment issues and contractual matters and supervising health care related representation, including reimbursement appeals to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare.
Philadelphia Bar Association Board of Governors
Allegheny County Bar Association, Co-founder and past President of the Arts and Law Committee
Citizens for the Arts in Pennsylvania, Board of Directors
Serves as pro bono counsel to Amnesty International USA, Citizens for the Arts in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia FIGHT (region’s largest HIV/AIDS provider), Dance Affiliates and the West Philadelphia Partnership Community Development Corporation
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
J.D., with honors, University of North Carolina School of Law, 1978; Notes and Comments Editor, Law Review
B.A., cum laude, Yale University, 1974