Chair, Summer Associate Program
Gosia Kosturek focuses her practice on corporate transactions within the hospitality industry. Her practice is devoted to representing real estate development companies, investors, lenders, and hotel management companies in all aspects of acquisition, disposition, development, management, licensing, and finance of real estate and hotel assets in the United States and throughout the world. On behalf of these clients, Gosia handles the drafting, review and negotiation of various agreements including hotel management agreements (third party and brand managed), residential agreements, asset management agreements, franchise agreements, various financing documents, technical services agreements, consulting services agreements, and purchase and sale agreements. In addition, Gosia regularly advises hotel clients on operational matters and property-level agreements, including data security and privacy matters.
- Represents third party hotel management companies, brand management companies and hotel owners in the negotiation and drafting of hotel management agreements (third party and brand managed), residential agreements, asset management agreements, purchase and sale agreements, joint venture agreements, leases, franchise agreements, loan agreements, subordination agreements, financing related agreements, technical services agreements and consulting services agreements for hotels located in North America, South America, Asia, Africa, and Europe.
- Advises hotel management companies and hotel owners with a variety of operational issues and agreements including space leases, employment agreements, services agreements, filming agreements, group sales agreements and coordination of counsel on employment, liquor and tax matters.
- Advises clients in the response to thefts of personal information and electronic data security breaches including fulfilling state law requirements for notification to state agencies and affected individuals.
- Served as hospitality counsel in the connection with the acquisition of several large portfolios of hotels by real estate investment trusts (REITs), including portfolios of 52 hotels and 40 hotels, by providing counsel on financing, acquisition, liquor and transition of operations matters in addition to negotiating hotel management agreements, franchise agreements and other related documents.
- Law360’s Hospitality Editorial Advisory Board
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- ACBA’s Women’s Institute for Leadership in Law (WILL)
- Duquesne Law Alumni Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Pittsburgh
- Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh, elementary school reading mentor
Awards and Recognition:
While in law school, Gosia won the ABA-BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law and received the CALI Excellence for the Future Awards for Employee Benefits; Property; Bankruptcy; Employment Discrimination; and Advanced Legal Writing: Writing in Law Practice.
News and Insights
- “Top Tips for New Hotel Brands Entering the US Market,” Luxury Hoteliers Magazine, January 2018.
- “Top Tips for New Hotel Brands Entering the US Market,” HospitalityLawyer.com’s Converge Blog, February 2018.
- “Data Security Soft Spots: Safeguarding a Property Against Cyber Attacks,” Lodging, the official magazine of the American Hotel and Lodging Association, June 2017.
- “Law360’s Hospitality Editorial Advisory Board” Law360, March 2018
- “The Pittsburgh Hotel Boom: An Inside Perspective from Hospitality Lawyers,” co-present to CREW Pittsburgh Members Lunch-n-Learn, January 2018.
- “The Internet of Things (IoT) and Data Security: Examples from the Hospitality Industry,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2017.
- “Table Top War Game Exercise – Managing a Crisis,” co-facilitator at Hospitality Law Conference, April 26, 2017.
- “The Unique Challenges of Data Security for the Hospitality Industry,” co-presenter at Hospitality Law Conference, April 24, 2017.
- Presenter, “Data Risk: Threats, Response and Preparedness,” Annual Prospera Hospitality Leadership Meeting, Cranberry, Pennsylvania, September 2016.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
J.D., summa cum laude, Duquesne University School of Law, 2010; Associate Recent Decision Editor, Law Review
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 2006