Gary A. Miller
Gary Miller, chair of the firm’s securities practice group, has a broad range of experience in corporate, securities, and commercial transactions. He has done significant work in public and private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, and venture capital and other private investment transactions. His private investment experience includes the startup of a number private investment funds and registration and exemption under federal and state law, regulatory compliance, and negotiation and implementation of advisory agreements. His commercial transaction experience includes distribution agreements, software licensing, information technology agreements, and the purchase and sale of investment advisory firms.
Gary is a member of the firm’s Regulated Substances Group, a multidisciplinary team of lawyers and government affairs professionals who advise clients establishing and operating businesses involved in the financing, manufacturing, processing, distribution, marketing, and retail sale of marijuana for medical use where authorized by state law. He helps client navigate licensing and other complex legal and regulatory issues surrounding the fast-growing business of medical cannabis.
- Assisted variety of public companies with U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) registration statements, periodic securities reporting, and other securities compliance and corporate matters, such as stock buy-back programs, going private transactions, and insider trading.
- Represented small public pharmaceutical company in connection with PIPEs offerings, registered direct offerings, market offerings, and acquisitions.
- Represented European companies in the acquisition and sale of U.S. subsidiaries.
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in divestiture.
- Advised entrepreneurial clients on the structure of new enterprises.
- Served as outside general counsel to numerous startup companies and other smaller enterprises.
- Provided commercial transaction and other assistance to large public companies, including companies in numerous distribution, retail, pharmaceutical, medical software and equipment, and other health care related industries.
- Advised law firms and other professional organizations regarding formation, partnership and shareholder agreements, and other organizational matters.
News and Insights
- “Heinz No-Shop Shows Price Isn’t Everything In Pa.” Law360, February 19, 2013.
- “SEC Permanently Bars Madoff From Participating in Securities Industry,” BNA Securities Law Daily, June 18, 2009.
- “SEC plan may alter board elections,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, May 31, 2009.
- “Business Contracts A to Z,” National Business Institute (Philadelphia), November 2012.
- “Raising Capital in Today’s Markets,” panelist, Entrepreneur’s Forum of Greater Philadelphia, October 2012.
- “LLCs: From Formation to Special Uses,” National Business Institute (Philadelphia), December 2010.
J.D., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1985
B.S., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, 1982