Elizabeth Martin Colombo
Co-Chair, Women's Initiative at Eckert
Elizabeth Colombo focuses her practice on transactional work, with an emphasis in the hospitality industry. Her practice includes the representation of domestic and international hotel and spa management companies, owners, developers, and asset managers in corporate acquisitions and dispositions, as well as the drafting, review, and negotiation of agreements related to (i) hotel, spa, and restaurant management and asset management; (ii) the purchase and sale of properties and joint ventures; (iii) franchising, licensing and branding; (iv) leases, subordination documents and estoppels; (v) financing arrangements; and (vi) a wide range of day-to-day property operational matters, including vendor agreements, filming and location agreements, service agreements, and sales contracts. Elizabeth also manages liquor licensing matters throughout the United States. Elizabeth drafts, reviews, and negotiates commercial agreements on behalf of corporate clients and has worked on dozens of corporate and real-estate transactions inside and outside of the hospitality industry, involving mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions for manufacturing, service and technology companies. Elizabeth also advises clients in the response to thefts of personal information and electronic data security breaches including fulfilling state law requirements for notification to state agencies and affected individuals. In addition, Elizabeth has a strong background working on cross-border transactions and significant experience with business counseling, as well as managing and coordinating legal services for corporate clients. She manages the legal work for an energy company and has served as temporary in-house counsel for a leading independent hotel management company on multiple occasions.
- Served as temporary in-house counsel for leading independent hotel management company on several occasions.
- Represented an independent hotel management company in the negotiation of the management agreement for the first internationally branded hotel in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Represents independent hotel developer in the real property acquisition, management, operation, and financing of the development of a domestic luxury boutique hotel.
- Negotiated spa management agreement for European-based international luxury spa operator in the negotiation of the spa management agreement for a spa in Doha, Qatar.
- Served as hospitality counsel in the acquisition of a leading British hotel management company.
- Negotiated commercial real estate lease on behalf of an energy company for a Pennsylvania convenience store property.
- Represented Asian-based international luxury resort and spa brand operator in the negotiation of the spa management agreement and brand tri-party agreement in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Negotiated a new franchise arrangement with a major international brand on behalf of a hotel ownership group for a new-build hotel in Hawaii.
- Tickets for Kids-Pittsburgh, Member of the Board of Directors
- Pennsylvania State University Schreyer Honors College, Alumni Interviewer
- Penn State Alumni Association
- William & Mary Law Alumni Ambassador
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Star
News and Insights
- “Hosting Hollywood: Legal factors to consider before signing a location agreement for your luxury hotel,” Luxury Hoteliers Magazine, November 2019.
- “All the World’s A Stage: Legal Factors to Keep in Mind Before Signing a Location Agreement,” HospitalityLawyer.com Converge Blog, August 31, 2019.
- “The Pittsburgh Hotel Boom: An Inside Perspective from Hospitality Lawyers,” co-presenter CREW Pittsburgh Members Lunch-n-Learn, January 2018.
- “Pittsburgh Hotels: Why So Many New Ones and Who Employs All These People?” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2016.