Edward A. Gray
Edward Gray is now serving as a mediator and arbitrator, after 40 years as trial counsel and appellate advocate for Fortune 100 companies, primarily in the area of product liability defense. His practice primarily focused on automotive vehicle crashworthiness and evolving safety technology. Ed served as regional counsel, national counsel, and specialty counsel in stand-alone matters and class action litigation. Also, in his role as trial counsel, he was tasked with resolution of claims against his clients through mediation and arbitration processes.
Ed has taken verdicts in over 63 Product Liability trials in both federal and state courts throughout the United States. Over the course of his career, he has mediated and settled in excess of 400 cases.
Pennsylvania Representative Matters (Counties: Adams, Allegheny, Beaver, Berks, Bradford, Bucks, Butler, Cambria, Centre, Chester, Columbia, Dauphin, Delaware, Erie, Franklin, Huntingdon, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, Lycoming, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, Pike, Schuylkill, Somerset, Washington, Westmoreland, York)
- Quadriplegia and traumatic brain injury to 45-year old woman and resulting death due to alleged defect in occupant restraint system of an automobile;
- Incomplete quadriplegia to 35-year old man due to alleged defect in the warning system of a skid steer loader;
- Paraplegia to male rear seat passenger in an automobile due to alleged defective design of a rear seat belt system;
- Death of male driver of an automobile in a post collision fuel fed fire due to an alleged defect in the vehicle fuel system;
- Death of a male driver of a heavy duty truck due to an alleged defect in the handling and stability of the truck;
- Death of a female passenger involved in a rollover accident due to alleged defect in tire design and roof structure;
- Quadriplegia to an 18-year old female due to alleged inadequacy of an automobiles handling and stability and defective roof structure design;
- Traumatic brain injury of male driver due to alleged defective design of an automobile airbag system,
Delaware Representative Matters (Counties: Kent, New Castle, Sussex)
- Traumatic amputation of elderly male driver upper limbs and head injury, as well as traumatic amputation of upper and lower limb of elderly female passenger, resulting in death due to an alleged unwanted acceleration of their vehicle;
- Paraplegia to two young children seated in the back seat of an automobile due to alleged defective design of the vehicles seatbelt system and vehicle crashworthiness;
- Death of multiple occupants of a sport utility vehicle due to alleged defect in the design of the vehicle roof structure, glazing and handling, and stability.
New Jersey Representative Matters (Counties: Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Gloucester, Essex, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Union, Warren)
- Death of a male drive of heavy truck in a post collision fuel fed fire due to alleged defect in the fuel system design;
- Quadriplegia and subsequent death of a male passenger in an automobile due to alleged defective design of the vehicle roof structure;
- Quadriplegia and subsequent death of a male driver due to alleged defect in the design of a vehicle handling and stability;
- Death of a male driver due to alleged defect in the design of an automobile seat belts system;
- Deaths of three children due to asphyxiation due to alleged defective design of an automobile trunk system;
- Quadriplegia injury to a 20-year old female due to an alleged defect in the design of an automobile seat back system;
- Traumatic brain injury to a child and death of a child, due to an alleged defect in the glazing of an automobile and lack of appropriate handling and stability.
New York Representative Matters (Counties: Albany, Bronx, Broome, Cattaraugus, Chenango, Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Jefferson, Monroe, Nassau, New York, Oneida, Orange, Oswego, Queens, Rockland, Seneca, Suffolk, Tioga Ulster, Westchester)
- Paraplegic and quadriplegia injury to 7-year old and 9-year old children due to alleged defect in automobile seat belt system;
- Death and brain injury by carbon monoxide poisoning to 81-year old man and 76-year old woman due to alleged defect in design of an automobile smart key ignition system
- Death of 38-year old woman due to alleged defective door structure and seatbelt system of an automobile;
- Traumatic brain injury to male driver of an automobile due to alleged defective roof structure design;
- Traumatic brain injury to female driver of an automobile due to alleged unwanted vehicle acceleration;
- Traumatic brain injury and partial incomplete quadriplegia to 17-year old boy due to alleged failure to equip a school bus with an under ride guard;
- Death of male driver of truck due to a post collision fuel fed fire due to an alleged defective fuel tank design.
- Lecturer, Temple University Beasley School of Law LLM program in trial advocacy and ethics
- Adjunct Professor, Temple University Beasley School of Law in Trial Advocacy and ethic
Awards and Recognition:
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Product Liability Defense and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion as “Best Individual Mediator” in the Legal Intelligencer’s Best Of 2019
News and Insights
- “How Initial Demands and Offers Affect the Course of the Negotiations,” The Legal Intelligencer, January 2020.
- Lecturer, Pennsylvania First Judicial District on Trial Advocacy, Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and Pennsylvania Bar Institute on Ethics, Expert Testimony, and Evolving Law Post-Tincher
- Published papers on Trial Advocacy, design defects, emerging technology, crashworthiness, and ethics