Dean F. Richardson
Eckert Seamans is saddened to announce the passing of Dean F. Richardson. The firm mourns the loss of Dean, who was an accomplished lawyer and a true gentleman.
Dean was previously the long-serving chair of the firm’s Public Finance Group. For nearly 40 years, his work on high-profile public finance transactions helped shape the landscape of western Pennsylvania and beyond on projects including hospitals, colleges and universities, sports facilities, convention centers, schools, housing, continuing care and assisted living facilities, and redevelopment areas, among many others.
During this difficult time, we share our thoughts, prayers, and support with Dean’s family. The funeral arrangements are private and for his immediate family only.
Dean Richardson concentrated his legal practice in the area of public finance for nearly 40 years. As the former chair of the firm’s public finance practice, he represented issuers, underwriters, trustees, lenders, and borrowers in public finance transactions and other types of financing transactions, both tax-exempt and taxable. These transactions included projects for all types of public bodies as well as transactions for schools, single-family housing, multi-family housing, continuing care and assisted living facilities, hospitals, colleges and universities, redevelopment areas, water and sewer system facilities, solid waste disposal facilities, tax increment financings, sports facilities, convention centers, transportation, parking and industrial facilities.
Under Dean’s leadership and thanks to his many contributions, the firm’s public finance practice was one of two Eckert Seamans groups to recently earn National Tier 1 honors from U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” and has been listed in The Bond Buyers Municipal Marketplace® since 1985.
- Represents clients in transactions involving derivative financial products such as interest rate swaps, hedges and collars, as well as swaptions and forward bond purchase transactions.
- Represents a number of public clients, including mass transit agencies, on complex foreign and domestic structured asset lease transactions that have included cross-border lease transactions, lease in/lease out transactions, and sale/lease back transactions.
- Acted as a bond counsel on the financing of Pittsburgh’s baseball park, football stadium, multi-purpose arena, and convention center.
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers, Past President
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Allegheny County Bar Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2012 Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America – Public Finance Law
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
J.D., University of Notre Dame Law School, 1980
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1977