David W. Clarke
David Clarke successfully blends general counsel representation of a variety of business interests with a regulatory, administrative law, and government relations practice including handling matters before state regulatory bodies and agencies. His clients include leading names in energy, technology, healthcare, and communications for whom he provides key policy, legislative, and regulatory compliance advocacy. He also has extensive experience counseling a broad spectrum of corporate and other business interests and handling the closing of all manner of business and real estate transactions.
Government Relations, Policy Advocacy and Government Procurement
- Representing energy infrastructure owners, developers, and users
- Matters affecting the regulation of the production, transmission and distribution of natural gas and the competitive production and supply of electricity
- Assist business interests in securing and maintaining multi-million dollar government contracts for a variety of products and services in the technology, healthcare and retirement plan sectors
- Represent the interests of a national provider of mental health services
- Assist an international provider of energy submetering services
- Represent the policy interests of a regulated monopoly energy services provider
- Successfully confirmed the authority of laypersons to conduct real estate closings
- Handled all legislative matters for a local government
- Assisted with efforts to expand Virginia’s Medicaid program
General Counsel and Commercial Transactions
- Handled the closing of the sale of a telephone cooperative to an electric cooperative
- Representing the sale of a controlling interest in a fiber optic communications infrastructure developer/owner
- Handled the sale of a national portfolio of fast-food restaurants and the purchase of another national portfolio of fast-food restaurants
- Negotiated and closed the sale of the assets of a regional convenience store and motor fuels business
- Work with a firm team in both acquiring and selling hotel properties and interests
- Regularly represent an entertainment brokerage business in connection with the acquisition of assets and talent to expand the business
- Negotiate and handle leasing for several closely-held real estate developers and investors
- Assist broadband services provider with real estate and contractual matter in expanding its network
- Virginia Bar Association, Real Estate Section
- Virginia State Bar, Administrative Law and Real Property Sections
- Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- Richmond Christian Leadership Institute, Chairman of the Board
- Urban Hope, Inc., Board Vice-Chair
- Orchard House School, Past President of the Board
- Friends of Bandy Field, Inc., Past Board Member and Vice President
- Richmond Business Council (Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce), Past Chairman
- Third Presbyterian Church
- East End Fellowship
- Leadership Metro Richmond, Class of 1992
Pro Bono Activities
- Helped to develop a unique program for investment in, rehabbing and maintenance of and preserving as affordable housing in minority community experiencing extreme gentrification and displacement
- Volunteer with an empowerment and enrichment program providing tutoring, mentoring, skills and entrepreneurial training to youth
- Facilitated the location and acquisition of a physical plant for an independent middle school for girls
- Assisted a local food bank in securing a larger facility to handle the agencies growth
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a 2021 The Best Lawyers in America© recognition for Administrative / Regulatory Law; Communications Law; Energy Law; Government Relations Practice and was named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Government Relations Practice “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Lawyers Weekly 2020 Leaders in the Law
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2020 Communications Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Administrative/Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Communications Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America – Administrative / Regulatory Law; Communications Law; Energy Law; Government Relations Practice
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative law
- Selected for inclusion as a “Top Lawyer” by Richmond Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Super Lawyers
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Governor Northam Work Group Proposes Legalizing Recreational Marijuana in Virginia,” Eckert Seamans’ Regulated Substances Blog, January 12, 2021.
- “Marijuana Laws Across United States Continue Rapid Trend Toward Widespread Legalization in 2020 Elections,” Eckert Seamans’ Regulated Substances Blog, December 7, 2020.
- “Prohibition: The Elusive and Misunderstood Writ,” University of Richmond Law Review, Volume 16.
- “Gas industry seeks regulations delay, FOIA exemption for fracking,” Daily Press, September 19, 2016.
- “King George adopts strict regulations regarding fracking,” The Free Lance-Star (Fredricksburg.com), August 17, 2016.
- “Fracking Divisions Clearly Laid Out,” The Free Lance-Star (Fredricksburg.com), September 25, 2014.