David W. Clarke
David Clarke successfully blends general counsel representation of a variety of business interests with a regulatory and administrative law and government relations practice, including handling matters before the Virginia State Corporation Commission and various other state regulatory bodies and agencies.
- Matters involving policy making affecting regulation of and transactions for energy (including production, transmission and distribution of natural gas and competitive electricity supply), telecommunications (wireless, local exchange and internet), healthcare (including relating to doing business with the Virginia Medicaid agency) and insurance (title, health and retirement annuities) interests.
- Serves a variety of corporate and business clients in matters relating to entity planning and formation, purchase, sale and financing of assets and other general business matters.
- Virginia Bar Association, Real Estate Section
- Virginia State Bar, Administrative Law and Real Property Sections
- Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- Orchard House School, Past President of the Board
- Friends of Bandy Field, Inc., Past Board Member and Vice President
- Richmond Business Council (Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce), Past Chairman
- Richmond Christian Leadership Institute, Chairman of the Board
- Leadership Metro Richmond, Class of 1992
- Third Presbyterian Church
- East End Fellowship
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion as Best Lawyers 2019 Administrative/Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond.
- Selected for inclusion as Best Lawyers 2018 Communications Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative law
- Selected for inclusion as a “Top Lawyer” by Richmond Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Super Lawyers
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Prohibition: The Elusive and Misunderstood Writ,” University of Richmond Law Review, Volume 16.
- “Gas industry seeks regulations delay, FOIA exemption for fracking,” Daily Press, September 19, 2016.
- “King George adopts strict regulations regarding fracking,” The Free Lance-Star (Fredricksburg.com), August 17, 2016.
- “Fracking Divisions Clearly Laid Out,” The Free Lance-Star (Fredricksburg.com), September 25, 2014.
J.D., cum laude, University of Richmond, 1983
B.A., with honors, University of Virginia, 1977