David P. Franklin
David Franklin has a diverse corporate practice, counseling privately held and publicly owned companies in the transportation, manufacturing, funeral services, medical, retail, sports, media, and technology industries. He handles a variety of matters on behalf of clients, including acquisitions, dispositions and mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances, distribution agreements, outsourcing arrangements, internal reorganizations, employment issues, and complex commercial contracts. Notably, prior to transitioning into his current corporate practice, David spent seven years as a trial attorney. He focused primarily on commercial and complex product liability matters, and now utilizes those valuable skills for the benefit of his corporate clients, especially those in the manufacturing and service industries.
David also practices in the sports and entertainment fields and has been actively involved in the development and structuring of cutting edge marketing and advertising relationships, licensing and sponsorship agreements, celebrity endorsement contracts, and stadium and arena naming rights projects. He represents professional sports franchises and their sponsors and is a member of the Sports Lawyers Association. David has handled several high-profile transactions in the sports and entertainment fields, including the drafting and negotiation of the multi-year naming rights and sponsorship agreement for the NFL stadium in Pittsburgh and the NHL arenas in Buffalo, Newark, and Pittsburgh, as well as a sponsorship agreement between the PGA Tour and one of their largest sponsors.
David’s broad practice also involves the representation of a number of owners and contractors in the negotiation and drafting of design and construction projects. He has handled many important projects for the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, including the negotiation and drafting of the professional design and construction agreements for the $35 million Dinosaurs in Their Time project and the renovation of the Scaife Galleries. David also assisted the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh with the design and construction agreements for the renovation of five branches in the City of Pittsburgh, including the main branch in Oakland.
- Sale of a Commercial Aggregates Business – Oversaw the sale of a privately owned Western Pennsylvania commercial aggregates business, including its various real property assets. Value: $120 million.
- Acquisition of Regional Bakery Business – Responsible for managing the acquisition of a leading Mid-Atlantic bakery business by a Fortune 500 company. Value: $66 million.
- Acquisition of Casket Distribution Business – Managed the acquisition of the assets of the Northeast’s largest casket distributor. Value: $115 million.
- Acquisition of Graphite Products Business – Represented a Japanese conglomerate in the acquisition of a Pennsylvania-based graphite products business. Value: $3 million.
- Sale of Meat Snacks Business – Oversaw the sale of the assets of a major beef jerky manufacturer based in Minnesota. Value: $10 million.
- Sale of Commercial Loan Portfolio – Assisted an international financial services company in the sale of its commercial loan portfolio. Value: $2.6 billion.
- Miracle League of the South Hills, Board of Directors
- Mt. Lebanon Football Association and Mt. Lebanon Baseball Association, Board Member
- Mt. Lebanon School District Strategic Planning Committee
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Greater Pittsburgh, Former Board Member
- The First Tee of Pittsburgh, Former Board Member
- CASA of Allegheny County, Former Board Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Celebrity Endorsements – Promoting and Protecting Your Brand,” presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2019.
- “Protecting Your Brand in Sports Sponsorship or Naming Rights Agreements,” Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education, August 2014.
- “Practicing Sports Law in the 21st Century,” ABA Young Lawyers National Spring Conference, May 2014.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1992
B.A., University of Richmond, 1989