David C. Hittinger
David C. Hittinger, Jr., (Neil) focuses his practice in the areas of business counseling, gaming, hospitality, and regulated substances. As a member of the firm’s Business Division, Neil advises clients on an array of issues in both state and federal courts as well as before administrative agencies of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Prior to joining Eckert Seamans, Neil served as assistant counsel in the Governor’s Office of General Counsel, Pennsylvania Department of Health, where he provided counsel to the Department’s Bureau of Epidemiology, Bureau of Community Health Systems, and Health Policy Board on all legal aspects relative to the department’s mission of promoting healthy lifestyles, preventing injury and disease, and assuring the safe delivery of health care to Commonwealth citizens.
Neil also served for 11 years in the Office of Chief Counsel at the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, most recently as senior counsel. In that role, Neil advised the seven-member board on all aspects of the implementation and regulation of legalized casino gaming in Pennsylvania, including litigation, agency administration, employment law matters, and ethical considerations. Neil also participated in the successful defense of the board in appeals of casino licensure decisions on multiple occasions.
- Represents casinos, interactive gaming and sports wagering companies, gaming manufacturers, and gaming service providers on a broad array of legislative, legal, policy, and regulatory issues.
- Serves as legal counsel to four of Pennsylvania’s 13 licensed casinos.
- Provides regulatory counsel to Medical Marijuana organizations, including grower/processors and dispensaries, on all aspects of the Commonwealth’s Medical Marijuana Program.
- Provided consulting services to the Virginia Lottery relative to the Lottery’s implementation of legalized sports betting in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Provided counsel to the Dauphin County Gaming Advisory Board relative to issuing grants to area businesses and organizations from Local Share Assessment funding.
- Provided counsel to Empower Erie, LLC, a 501(c)(3) organization that financed and compiled Erie County’s successful application to the State Board of Education for a community college, the first new community college authorized by the Board in nearly three decades.
- Actively participates in the firm’s Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion initiatives via pro bono representation of clients from the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund’s Name Change Program.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Recipient – Dean’s Scholarship – The Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University
News and Insights
- “Legalized Marijuana – How Much Is In It For Pennsylvania?” Eckert Seamans’ Regulated Substances Blog, December 22, 2020.
- “Erie Community College Gets Greenlight from State Board of Education,” WITF, July 8, 2020.
- “From Seed to Sale: Cannabis Industry Legal Trends Across the U.S. and Canada,” presented during the State Capital Group’s 2021 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, September 2021.
- “Medical Care Availability and Reduction of Error Act (MCARE) – Infection Control and Prevention Implications,” Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC), 2019.
- “Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions – Isolation and Quarantine,” 2019 Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council (ATAC) Conference – State College and Pittsburgh.