Daniel J. Smith
Vice-Chair, Business Counseling, Financial Transactions and Mergers and Acquisitions
Daniel Smith primarily focuses his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and general corporate counseling. He assists clients with all aspects of mergers and acquisitions across a number of industries, including international companies, private equity funds, and others. He also drafts supply, distribution, and other complex commercial agreements for major corporations and advises clients on sophisticated corporate formation and governance matters.
- Represented a home improvement retailer in its $265 million acquisition of an equipment rental company.
- Represented a power management company in its $270 million sale of its aerospace division.
- Represented a large conglomerate in its $120 million acquisition of a major franchisor in the automobile service sector.
- Represented a private equity fund in the $150 million sale of a coatings company to a public company.
- Represented a home goods manufacturer in its $90 million acquisition of a plumbing products company.
- Represented a publicly traded manufacturer of sterilization products in numerous strategic acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented private equity funds in numerous add-on acquisitions and exits.
- Represented a franchisee in the sale of over 40 restaurants.
- Represented a logistics company in its $60 million sale to a public company buyer.
- Represented a publicly traded renewable energy company in several acquisitions.
- Represented a construction materials company in its $65 million sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented cannabis companies in transactional matters.
- Represented a family office in its $50 million acquisition of a snack foods company.
- Represented numerous sponsors, capital partners and other stakeholders in mixed-use real estate joint ventures relating to projects involving investments of up to (and exceeding) $100 million.
- Recovery Resources, Associate Board Member (2015-2018)
Awards and Recognition:
- Received a Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for Corporate Law (2021-2024)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for excellent achievement in the study of Appellate Practice, 2011
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for excellent achievement in the study of Contracts, 2010
News and Insights
- “Delaware Chancery Court Holds for First Time That Corporate Officers Owe Duty of Oversight to Corporation,” Eckert Seamans’ Business Counseling Update, June 2023.
- “More Money, More Problems: The Bitcoin Virtual Currency and the Legal Problems that Face It,” Case Western Reserve Journal of Law, Technology & the Internet, 2012.
- “When Everyone is the Judge’s Pal: Facebook Friendship and the Appearance of Impropriety Standard,” Case Western Reserve Journal of Law, Technology & the Internet, 2012.
- “Non-Disclosure Agreements in the M&A Context,” presented at the Eckert Seamans’ Joel Lennen Legal Primer, August 2023.