Daniel J. Smith
Daniel Smith primarily focuses his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and general corporate counseling. He assists clients with all aspects of mergers and acquisitions across a number of industries, including international companies, private equity funds, and others. He also drafts supply, distribution, and other complex commercial agreements for major corporations and advises clients on sophisticated corporate formation and governance matters.
Daniel also has experience representing clients in real estate acquisitions, dispositions, and commercial leasing matters.
- Represented a home improvement retailer in its $265 million acquisition of an equipment rental company.
- Represented a power management company in its $270 million sale of its aerospace division.
- Represented a large conglomerate in its acquisition of a major franchisor in the automobile service sector.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of a coatings company to a public company.
- Represented a home goods manufacturer in the acquisition of a plumbing products company.
- Represented a publicly traded manufacturer of sterilization products in numerous strategic acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented private equity funds in numerous add-on acquisitions and exits.
- Represented a franchisee in the sale of over 40 restaurants.
- Recovery Resources, Associate Board Member (2015-2018)
Awards and Recognition:
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for excellent achievement in the study of Appellate Practice, 2011
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for excellent achievement in the study of Contracts, 2010
News and Insights
- “More Money, More Problems: The Bitcoin Virtual Currency and the Legal Problems that Face It,” Case Western Reserve Journal of Law, Technology & the Internet, 2012.
- “When Everyone is the Judge’s Pal: Facebook Friendship and the Appearance of Impropriety Standard,” Case Western Reserve Journal of Law, Technology & the Internet, 2012.