Cody T. Murphey
Cody Murphey’s practice focuses on the representation of regulated and non-regulated utilities in various matters before the Virginia State Corporation Commission. Cody’s representation of utility companies, electric cooperatives, and other regulated entities includes regulatory proceedings involving rates, tariff revisions, and affiliate transactions. In his telecommunications practice, Cody assists competitive local exchange carriers and interexchange carriers in certification with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. Cody also represents competitive service providers in obtaining licenses to provide competitive energy service in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
In addition to his work in the energy sector, Cody represents building owners in commercial landlord tenant disputes and handles various commercial litigation matters.
Prior to joining Eckert Seamans, Cody served as an assistant attorney general in the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia, where he represented the interests of utility consumers before the State Corporation Commission and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. He also served as a judicial law clerk with the Honorable Joi Jeter Taylor and the Honorable M. Reilly Marchant of the Richmond Circuit Court.
- Successfully represented a natural gas marketer before the State Corporation Commission in successfully challenging bidder requirements for a request for proposal to manage a utility’s portfolio of natural gas transportation and storage assets.
- Representation of a Virginia electric cooperative before the State Corporation Commission to adjust its rates.
- Represented competitive service providers in obtaining license to offer competitive service in the Commonwealth.
- Represented an association of electric cooperatives located within the Commonwealth in a proceeding before the State Corporation Commission regarding net energy metering rules.
- Represented electric cooperative before the State Corporation Commission in a dispute with large manufacturing customer.
- Representation of an electric utility in a dispute before the Federal Communications Commission concerning a dispute over its pole attachment rates.
- Represented competitive local exchange and interexchange carriers in obtaining licenses to offer competitive service in the Commonwealth.
- Lead counsel to property owners in successful commercial landlord-tenant disputes.
- Successfully dismissed bar complaints against clients.
- Virginia Bar Association
Awards and Recognition:
CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Pre-Trial Litigation
News and Insights
- “COVID-19 LEGAL UPDATE: Virginia Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order No. 72,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, December 11, 2020.
- “COVID-19 Legal Update: Virginia Executive Order Nos. 53 and 55,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, March 31, 2020.
- “Are Public Written Comments Admissible as Evidence?” Administrative Law News, Vol. XV, Issue 16 (Spring 2017)
Cody enjoys all things outdoors, including duck hunting and fishing.