Brett Heather Freedson
Brett Freedson serves as counsel to electric utilities, gas transmission companies, wireless spectrum licensees, and institutional telecommunications end users on a broad range of transactional, dispute resolution, and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) compliance matters. Brett also has represented telecommunications companies in various proceedings before the FCC and state regulatory commissions, including rulemakings, complaint adjudications, arbitrations, and enforcement proceedings.
- Represent investor-owned electric utilities in pole attachment agreement negotiations with cable, telecommunications, and wireless service providers, related informal dispute resolution proceedings, and formal complaint and mediation proceedings before the FCC.
- Represent investor-owner electric utilities in proceedings before the FCC impacting licensing and use of the 3550-3700 MHz “Citizens Broadband Radio Service” band.
- Counsel investor-owned electric utilities on federal, state, and local regulations impacting pole attachments and other infrastructure sharing arrangements.
- Counsel various entities on compliance matters arising under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and FCC and FTC (Federal Trade Commission) consumer protection regulations.
- Represent gas transmission companies, critical infrastructure providers, and private landowners in negotiations for commercial lease arrangements to accommodate wireless cell sites.
- Represented, as FCC counsel, transmission and field services companies in transactions resulting in the formation of a multi-billion dollar interstate pipeline partnership.
- Represented communications companies and various infrastructure providers in proceedings before the FCC for enforcement of rules governing construction and maintenance of antenna structures and facilitated implementation of compliance plans.
- Represented various investor-owned utilities in transactions for the purchase, sale, and lease of wireless spectrum authorizations supporting advanced metering and smart grid technologies.
- Provide strategic counseling to investors in the telecommunications industry sector.
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia
News and Insights
- “FCC Seeks Comments Regarding Preemption of Local Restrictions on Small Cell Wireless Infrastructure” , Eckert Seamans' Utilities and Telecommunications Alert, January 2017.
- “FCC Implements Privacy Rules for Broadband Internet Service Providers” , Eckert Seamans' Utilities and Telecommunications Alert, December 2016.
- Legal Panel, Southeastern Electric Exchange, Joint Use Committee, October 2018.
- Legal Panel, Heartland Joint Use, May and October 2018.
- “What’s Up in Washington: Recent Developments at the FCC,” presenter, Utilities Technology Council, February 2018.
- “The Telephone Consumer Protection Act,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seminar, August 2015.
- “Developments in Telecommunications Competition,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ CLE, August 2013.
- “Interconnection Under the Telecommunications Act of 1996: Past, Present and Future,” moderator, COMPTEL PLUS Spring 2013 Convention and Expo, March 2013.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
J.D., George Washington University Law School, 2000
B.A., University of Chicago, 1997