Brendan C. Horgan
Brendan Horgan focuses his practice on labor and employment law and commercial litigation. As a litigator, he has handled a variety of matters before state and federal courts, the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission, and military courts-martial. This unique trial experience informs Brendan’s advice to clients to avoid litigation where possible and position a company for the best result the moment a dispute arises.
Prior to settling in Richmond with his family and beginning his civil litigation practice, Brendan served for five years on active duty in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps as both a prosecutor and defense counsel. He had the opportunity to try numerous complex courts-martial to verdict, including ten contested jury trials. Brendan currently serves as a Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve.
- Richmond Bar Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Navy Commendation Medal
- Navy Achievement Medal
- CAPT George T. Smith U.S. Navy Leadership Award
- David H. Neiditz Professional Writing Award
News and Insights
- “Comply or Get Swamped: New Virginia Laws That All Businesses Must Understand For July 2021,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, June 16, 2021.
- “COVID-19 LEGAL UPDATE: Virginia Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order No. 72,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, December 11, 2020.
- “Virginia Employment Law: Checklist for 2021,” Eckert Seamans’ Labor & Employment Alert, December 7, 2020.
- “The New Pitfalls Of Employment Misclassification for Virginia Employers,” co-author, Mealey’s Litigation Report: Employment Law, August 2020.
- “New Virginia Laws Seek to Convert Independent Contractors to Employees,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, May 18, 2020.
- “COVID-19 Legal Update: Virginia Executive Order Nos. 53 and 55,” Eckert Seamans’ COVID-19 Legal Update, March 31, 2020.
- “How the Coronavirus has Impacted the Workplace,” discussed with Emily Chang on Bloomberg Technology Show, February 2020.
- “Virginia’s Emergency Temporary Standard Infectious Disease Prevention: SARS-COV-2 Virus That Causes COVID-19,” co-presenter, Eckerts Seamans’ webinar presentation, August 2020.
- “Pay Equity Analysis – Understanding the Equal Pay Act and Title VII,” co-presenter at the Richmond SHRM 2020 Legal Update, February 2020.