Benjamin A. Ried
Ben Ried counsels, leads, and collaborates in a broad-based law practice, in which he primarily assists municipalities, municipal authorities, and school districts in issuing tax-exempt bonds and notes to finance and refinance their capital projects. Ben also regularly represents other beneficiaries of tax-exempt financing including continuing care retirement communities, colleges, hospitals, and volunteer fire companies. Even experienced borrowers can feel daunted by specialized financing. In a transaction, Ben shifts any burden of responsibility from the client to him and strives to put minds at ease by being responsive, personable, and knowledgeable.
Ben lived in Peru for several years and now dedicates part of his practice to representing Latin American businesses operating in or seeking market entry into the United States, and vice versa. Fluent in Spanish, Ben facilitates navigation of U.S. laws and regulations in order to achieve objectives for clients in Mexico and countries throughout Central America and South America. Ben connects U.S.-based clients to attorneys and tax professionals on the ground in those countries, while leading the representation domestically. Ben and other members of the International Group also represent companies that serve an increasingly complex global supply chain. Please visit Eckert Seamans’ International Group page for more details about the services the firm provides in this area.
- Providing legal and linguistic support in Eckert Seamans’ role as seller’s counsel for the privatization of Puerto Rico’s government-owned telecommunications company;
- Lead counsel to the sole bondholder directing sale of a distressed health care facility that successfully closed following a multi-year effort;
- Special Counsel on a multi-disciplinary team to create the first county-wide stormwater management authority in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
- Bond Counsel to a municipal authority for a $500,000 tax-exempt bank loan to extend public water service to an area previously served by private wells;
- Bond Counsel to a municipal authority for a $1.5 million tax-exempt bank loan to refinance for savings a prior PennVest loan;
- Bond Counsel to a retirement community for a $75 million tax-exempt public bond offering to construct new independent living apartments and additions to personal-care facilities;
- Bond Counsel to a municipality for a $63,000 tax-exempt “small borrowing” bank loan under the PA Local Government Unit Debt Act to purchase a truck;
- Underwriter’s Counsel for a $35 million taxable/tax-exempt public bond offering for school district refunding and capital projects;
- Special Counsel to a municipality for the creation of a “Neighborhood Improvement District” to finance public improvements on a tax-exempt basis for a new residential development;
- Bond Counsel to a volunteer fire company for a $750,000 directly-placed tax-exempt bank loan to purchase a new pumper truck;
- Bond Counsel to a municipal authority for a $1.75 million taxable PennVest loan to fund a water interconnection and well source development project;
- Certified Development Company Counsel for a $1.5 million SBA 504 loan to fund the purchase and renovation of real estate for a locally-owned and operated apparel company;
- Special Counsel to join a municipality to a regional sewer authority to create operating and administrative efficiencies, including terminating the existence of a neighboring authority and conveying all assets and accounts to the existing regional sewer authority; and
- Bond Counsel to a municipal authority for a $10 million tax-exempt USDA, Rural Development loan to fund wastewater collection system improvements.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers
- International Bar Association – Latin American Regional Forum
- The Wildcat Foundation (serving Mechanicsburg Area School District), President of the Board of Directors
- Mechanicsburg Volunteer Fire Department, Honorary Member and Board Member
- Leadership Harrisburg, Community Leadership Series, Class of 2014
News and Insights
- “Pennsylvania Municipal Alert: Economic Tools for Small Business and Local Governments,” March 26, 2020.
- “Mechanicsburg volunteer fire companies consolidate into one,” CBS21.com, July 2019.
- “A Conversation with Ben Ried,” Featured in the Central Penn Business Journal’s Lists & Leads, May 2019.
- “Mechanicsburg Borough Council OKs reviving municipal authority,” The Sentinel, September 2018.
- “Mechanicsburg Borough Council might revive municipal authority, add stormwater to its responsibilities,” The Sentinel, August 2018.
- “Municipal Stormwater Utility and Fees,” presented at the Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors Annual Conference (Hershey, PA), April 2018.
- “County-Municipal Cooperation in Financing Capital Projects – Stormwater Management,” co-presented at the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania 2018 Annual Conference (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), August 2018.
- Collaborative Approaches to Funding Fire and EMS Services,” Pennsylvania Local Government Training Partnership, 2013-2017.
- Originally from Western New York, Ben is an afflicted Buffalo Bills super fan and St. Bonaventure basketball backer.
- In 1999, Ben travelled to Peru, South America with just a backpack and penchant for adventure … four years later he returned to the States with a new family.
- Ben enjoys sharing his passion for capturing videos of wildlife via his YouTube channel.