Anthony F. Troy
Tony Troy focuses his practice on multistate regulatory work, consumer protection, civil litigation, white collar defense, and administrative law matters. As a former attorney general of Virginia (1977-1978), Tony is well-versed in attorney general matters and has developed a practice surrounding client issues with state attorney general offices. In addition to representing clients in single and multistate enforcement action by state attorneys general, Tony’s practice includes commercial advertising, tobacco, antitrust, First Amendment litigation, election law litigation, and other commercial litigation.
- Represented clients in antitrust cases including criminal and civil proceedings involving a number of industries, such as road building, soft drinks, softball, pharmaceuticals, agricultural, rendering, and the professions.
- Represented a number of various clients investigated by joint multi-state task forces of attorneys general, including: task forces dealing with prescription drug pricing, prescription drug abuse, prescription mail order pharmacies, alcohol, wine and beer industries, independent tobacco companies, car rental companies, and financial institutions.
- Helped form and provided counsel to a trade association of Non-Participating Manufacturers (NPMs).
- Represented clients in litigation regulation and legislative issues on a national basis regarding the tobacco master agreement.
- Represented, in U.S. District Court in Virginia, a group of church day care centers in defending a Virginia statute that exempted such centers from licensure. Case was brought by a for-profit day care center and involved both the Establishment and Freedom of Religion prongs.
- Represented, in U.S. District Court in Iowa, the Prison Fellowship Ministry (PFM), in determining if a contract with the State of Iowa, allowing prisoners to volunteer to take classes taught by PFM inside the prison facilities, violated the Establishment Clause.
- Was involved in admiralty cases against the Kingdom of Spain and ERISA litigation where successfully received over a $300,000 Civil Penalty award.
- Former Attorney General of Virginia (1977-1978)
- National Association of Attorneys General (Society of Attorneys General Emeritus)
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Ethical Issues in Complex Litigation of the National Commission for Review of Antitrust Laws and Procedure, Former Special Panel Member
- Virginia Law Foundation, Fellow and Former Board Member
- Council for the Future of the National Judicial College, Former Member
- Virginia State Bar, Former Faculty Member (Professionalism Committee, 1994-1997; Past Chair, Special Committee on Resolution of Fee Disputes)
- Boyd Graves Conference, Member
- Joint Committee on Continuing Legal Education, Former Member (1979-1988)
- University of Richmond School of Law, Former Adjunct Professor and Conrad B. Mattox, Jr. Chair (1998-1999)
- College of William and Mary School of Business, Former Antitrust Lecturer (1984-1987)
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams Law School Association Board of Directors
- Science Museum of Virginia Board of Trustees, Past Chair
- Virginia Intermont College Board of Trustees (2007 – 2016)
- Wintergreen Partners, Inc. Board of Directors, Past President
- Virginia Foundation for Research & Economic Education (VA-FREE) Board of Directors
- Virginia District Export Council
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- The Wintergreen Nature Foundation, Past President
- Riverside School, Board of Directors
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, in the areas of Administrative/Regulatory Law; Commercial Litigation: Criminal Defense: White-Collar; and Litigation – Antitrust
- Selected as one of Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s “Leaders in the Law” for 2018
- Nominated as one of America’s Top 100 Attorneys by America’s Top 100 LLC
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Business magazine’s “Virginia’s Legal Elite for 2016” for Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative Law
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Business magazine’s “Virginia’s Legal Elite for 2015” for Appellate Law
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2015 Litigation – Antitrust “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion as The Best Lawyers in America 2014 Administrative/Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Richmond
- Selected for inclusion in Virginia Super Lawyers
- Saint Michael’s College Hall of Fame
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell (for 35 years running, as of 2017)
News and Insights
- “Impeachment: yes or no? (The answer should be no),” opinion column published in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, February 2019.
- “Judicial independence, the Rule of Law, and Justice Roush,” Roanoke Times, January 2016.
- “Enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Laws in Virginia: A New Beginning,” University of Richmond Law Review.
- “Federal Trade Commission Preemption of State Regulations: A Reevaluation,” Testimonial Evidence, VSB/VBA Handbook, Suffolk University Law Review.
- “Tortious Interference with Existing or Potential Economic Relationship and Virginia Statutory Conspiracy,” Virginia Law Foundation Actions Handbook.
- “The Role of Defense Counsel,” Virginia Law Foundation Antitrust Handbook.
- “Legal Ethics in Bidrigging,” University of Richmond Law Review.
- “Democratic predecessor defends Cuccinelli,” The Washington Post, April 17, 2013.
- “Convict to Citizen: Perspectives on the Restoration of Civil Rights,” Richmond Bar Association CLE program, March 2017.
- “Confronting Investigations by Attorneys General,” Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education seminar (CLE), August 2013.
District of Columbia
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., University of Richmond, 1966
B.A., Saint Michael’s College, 1963