Alexander E. Matthews
As a member of the Aviation Group, Alex Matthews focuses his practice on aviation regulatory and policy matters. He has drafted filings for regulatory proceedings before a number of federal agencies, including the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, and Department of Homeland Security. Alex assists with the airline start-up process, airport lease and use agreements, and in advising foreign airlines on the launch of U.S. service. He also assists U.S. and foreign carrier clients in obtaining permit, exemption, and code-share authority from the Department of Transportation’s Office of International Aviation. In addition, Alex assists clients with regulatory compliance issues and in preparing for and defending litigation, investigations, audits, and major enforcement actions.
Before joining Eckert Seamans, Alex was an associate at an AmLaw 100 firm, where he focused his practice on aviation and corporate matters. While in law school, Alex served as president of the Student Bar Association and was executive editor of the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology. Prior to graduating law school, he served as a policy staff member with the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology for four years.
- Virginia State Bar
- American Bar Association Forum on Air & Space Law
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Air & Space Law Committee
News and Insights
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , September 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , August 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , July 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , June 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , May 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , April 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , March 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , February 2019.
- “Aviation Regulatory Update” , January 2019.
- “2018 Year in Review: Aviation Regulatory Update Digest” , January 2019.
Supreme Court of Virginia
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2015
B.A., Kenyon College, 2008