Albert G. Bixler
Board of Directors
Al Bixler has a wealth of experience in defending pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and other products. He has served as defense liaison counsel in mass tort litigation in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas in litigation totaling over 7,000 individual cases. In addition to mass tort, he has extensive experience in product liability, class action, toxic tort, personal injury, insurance coverage, and commercial litigation.
In Al’s product liability and class action litigation practices, he serves as national, regional, and local counsel for pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, representing them in state and federal courts. His toxic tort, personal injury, and insurance coverage practices have included the defense of toxic tort claims and medical monitoring class actions, as well as environmental contamination cases alleging personal injury and property damages. He has also prosecuted and defended Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) or “Superfund” cost recovery actions. In addition, he has represented clients in numerous commercial matters involving common law and statutory claims of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of restrictive covenants.
Before entering private practice, Al served as law clerk to the Honorable Daniel H. Huyett 3rd of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Represents pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in product liability and class action litigation in state and federal courts in national, regional, and local counsel roles.
- Serves as defense liaison counsel in mass tort litigation in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Prosecution of one of the first major cases under the Pennsylvania Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act.
- Representation of a multinational chemical company in connection with breach of warranty claims against the seller of two chemical plants.
- Representation of a bankruptcy trustee in lender liability litigation.
- Representation of insurance carriers in coverage litigation involving environmental and construction defect claims.
- Indigent Program and Senior Law Center, Volunteer
- Philadelphia Bar Association’s Law Firm Pro Bono Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Arbitrator
- Chestnut Hill United Church, Trustee
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA’s America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for general commercial litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, named Best Lawyers’ 2014 “Lawyer of the Year” for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Legal: Product Liability Defense 2015
News and Insights
- “Proposed Changes to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 30(b)(6),” co-authored for the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Drug, Device and Biotechnology Newsletter, April 2019.
- Co-author of the Pennsylvania chapter of Product Liability Cases and the Duty to Warn: A 50 State Compendium, a publication of the Defense Research Institute (DRI).
- “Bayer, Janssen Win Another Xarelto Injury Trial in Philly,” Law360, August 2018.
- “Johnson & Johnson, Bayer seek dismissal of 12 Philadelphia Xarelto lawsuits, say fact sheets are missing,” Pennsylvania Record, August 2018.
- “Xarelto Makers Accuse Plaintiffs of Manipulating Bellwether Process,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 2018.
- “Xarelto Makers Want Plaintiffs’ Litigation Funding Info,” The Legal Intelligencer, April 2017.
- “Philly Lawyers Read to Students Every Tuesday,” The Philadelphia Tribune, March 2017.
- “Special report: Silicone implants lawsuit frenzy not likely again, but still reason for caution, ” Plastic Surgery Practice Advisor, December 2006.
- “What Do In-House Lawyers Expect From Outside Counsel?” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 19th Annual Business Lawyer’s Institute, November 2013.
- “Views from the Plaintiff and Defense Bar on the New Rules,” panelist, HarrisMartin’s Philadelphia Complex Litigation Conference: Examining the Court’s New Mass Tort and Asbestos Protocols, June 5, 2012.
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1984
M.A., University of California, 1981
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 1977