The Nonprofit lawyers at Eckert Seamans have a long history of helping individuals, institutions, families, governments and businesses accomplish their charitable, educational, social, religious and other nonprofit objectives.
Our clients range from private charitable foundations to public charities such as universities, cultural organizations and hospitals, to numerous smaller charities providing a range of human and economic development services and cultural opportunities.
Our team of professionals has extensive experience and understands what role nonprofits play as well as the ethical and fiduciary standards they are held accountable to in today’s ever-evolving landscape.
We advise and assist nonprofit organizations with general counsel on tax, general business, planned giving and gift annuities, employment, intellectual property, operations, litigation, risk management and all other areas of the law that impact the mission of nonprofit organizations. Our services also include:
- Formation of tax exempt organizations including pre-incorporation planning, selection of optimal organizational form, preparing articles of incorporation, bylaws and other organizational documents, and completing the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) application for recognition of tax exempt status;
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts between nonprofit organizations and their vendors;
- Compliance advice and assistance with all IRS and state agency filings;
- Guiding individuals and entities on charitable giving matters;
- Providing counsel regarding limitations on political and lobbying activities;
- Counseling on corporate restructuring, mergers, joint ventures and dissolution;
- Advice on sales tax and real property tax exemption issues;
- Bond financing.
Our Nonprofit Group understands the unique needs of nonprofit organizations and assists our clients in realizing their objectives in the most cost-effective manner possible while ensuring compliance with special laws, regulations and practices.
In recent work for clients, we have established 501(c)(3) organizations for:
- A girls' home in Nairobi, Kenya;
- Two low-income housing organizations;
- A coalition to assist small business corporations in disaster planning;
- A disaster relief organization;
- Two schools in African countries;
- A historical residence museum;
- Several private family foundations;
- Multiple organizations which provide benefits and services for the mentally disabled, disadvantaged and children.
The firm represents various corporate and private foundations, educational institutions, healthcare providers and other nonprofit agencies and organizations in connection with their formation, operation and reporting obligations. Our tax attorneys assist clients in establishing family charitable foundations and trusts for various philanthropic purposes.
Jennifer L. Rawson
Clifford A. Pastel
View All Attorneys in
Charitable Organizations Updates and Reminders for 2011
What Color is Your Hat?