Peter S. Murphy
Peter Murphy is a member of the firm’s Regulated Substances Group, a multidisciplinary team of lawyers and government affairs professionals who advise clients establishing and operating legal marijuana businesses throughout the United States. Peter helps clients navigate licensing and other complex legal and regulatory issues surrounding the fast-growing medical marijuana industry. Peter has drafted permit applications for medical marijuana dispensaries and cultivation operations in Pennsylvania and is well-versed in the nuances of medical marijuana law and its relationship with existing federal law. Peter frequently writes and presents on the topic of medical marijuana regulation in Pennsylvania and Delaware.
Peter is also a litigator in the firm’s Professional Liability and Mass Tort groups, where he represents individual, institutional, and corporate clients in all aspects of tort litigation in Pennsylvania and Delaware state and federal courts. He is experienced in all phases of discovery, trial, and appeal.
Above all, Peter is passionate about building and maintaining strong relationships with his clients and providing the most cost-effective solutions to their legal challenges. Peter lives in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, with his wife and three children.
- Successfully assisted client with medical marijuana license application; license was awarded June 2017.
- Obtained dismissal through summary judgment on behalf of property management company in lead paint exposure suit.
- Obtained dismissal through summary judgment on behalf of product and equipment manufacturers in Delaware Asbestos Litigation.
- Successfully resolved debt collection matters on behalf of financial service institution.
- Represented various local schools, churches and religious organizations in protracted sexual abuse litigation filed in state and federal courts.
- Trial preparation and support for medical device litigation (pelvic mesh implants) in Delaware Superior Court, New Castle County.
- Discovery support in product recall litigation against Fortune 500 retailers and manufacturers.
- Trial preparation and support in medical malpractice suits against institutional defendants and individual practitioners.
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Delaware Law Review
- Americans for Safe Access
- National Cannabis Bar Association
- DRI Marijuana Law Seminar Steering Committee Member
- Kennett Township Zoning Hearing Board, Board Member
- Pro Bono Immigration Advocate for Unaccompanied Minor Children
- American Alpine Club
- Brandywine Conservancy
Awards and Recognition:
- Presented the “Extra Miler” award from firm client, AutoZone Inc. for his successful defense of multiple asbestos matters filed against AutoZone in Delaware
- Selected for inclusion in Delaware Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- Selected for inclusion in the Irish Legal 100, 40 Under 40 (2016)
News and Insights
- “Win or lose, here’s what you need to know about legalization,” The Leaf Online, November 8, 2016.
- “Three Reforms Mark Shift in Views of Marijuana in Delaware,” Delaware Law Weekly, July 2015.
- “A Closer Look at Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Bill,” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2015.
- “Delays in Launching Medical Marijuana Program Holding Delaware Back, Delaware Law Weekly, January 2015.
- “First State is Middle of the Pack on Marijuana Policy,” Delaware Law Weekly, January 2015.
- “Supreme Court Defines Standing Under Coastal Zone Act,” Delaware Law Weekly, October 2013.
- “Asbestos Trust And Tort Litigation Compensation In Delaware: A Call For Transparency,” Mealey’s Litigation Report – Asbestos, December 2012.
- “Medical Cannabis-Business Best Practices,” co-presented at a legal seminar sponsored by the PA Medical Cannabis Society, May 2016.
- “A Closer Look at Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Act,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2016.
- “What comes next for Pennsylvania’s first dozen medical marijuana license winners?,” WHYY-FM Public Media 1060 in Philadelphia, June 20, 2017.
- “Ohio rules for medical pot growers bring access questions,” Associated Press, April 23, 2017.
- “Americans overwhelmingly said yes to marijuana on Election Day,” Business Insider, November 9, 2016.
- “Massachusetts votes to legalize marijuana: What it means for business,” Boston Business Journal, November 8, 2016.
Peter lives in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, and enjoys skiing, rock climbing, trail running, and gardening with his wife and three children. Peter is also active in various historical and environmental conservation organizations.
Michelle L. Rennalls
U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
J.D., magna cum laude, Widener University Delaware Law School, 2007; Research Editor, The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
B.S., Indiana University, 2002