Kevin Harden, Jr.
Kevin Harden, Jr., is a trial lawyer. He is a former prosecutor with a broad practice that includes substantial experience defending both corporations and individuals in white-collar criminal investigations and civil and commercial litigation.
Kevin has tried 20 trials to a jury verdict. He has litigated numerous bench trials, pre- and post-trial motions, arbitrations, and evidentiary hearings.
He has appeared in both state and federal court on behalf of the government, corporations, nonprofits, and individuals. The subject matters of Kevin’s representations range from state and federal criminal grand jury investigations to the representation of clients in litigation involving breach of contract, medical and professional malpractice, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), real estate disputes, civil rights claims, product liability, construction accidents, class actions, and mass tort litigation.
Kevin has also conducted sensitive internal investigations in response to inquiries made by government enforcement agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Asset Control, Department of Justice, Pennsylvania’s Attorney General, and Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office. This includes the pre- and post-indictment representation of clients in False Claims Act whistleblower litigation and a broad range of white-collar criminal and federal criminal litigation.
Before joining Eckert Seamans, Kevin directed investigations as a lead prosecutor assigned to an organized crime task force created by the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office. Throughout his time at the District Attorney’s Office, Kevin prosecuted violent crimes such as attempted murder, rape, aggravated assault by vehicle, child sexual abuse, drug trafficking, and non-fatal shootings. Through these prosecutions, Kevin gained extensive experience evaluating, preparing and presenting expert witnesses in the areas of forensic toxicology, ballistics, pharmacology, accident reconstruction, prescription medication abuse, and child abuse pediatrics.
- Currently representing former company executive in connection with a political corruption and bribery investigation by the United States Department of Justice in Pennsylvania.
- Won dismissal of charges on behalf of a disabled law enforcement officer charged criminally by the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office.
- Pro bono representation of an incarcerated young man, sentenced to life imprisonment as a juvenile, as he seeks re-sentencing pursuant to Montgomery v. Louisiana.
- Served as lead associate for public utility and its management company in a matter involving subrogation claims and the Pennsylvania Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act. Obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Served as lead counsel for defendant credit collection agency. Obtained complete defense award in arbitration proceeding. Plaintiff subsequently voluntarily dismissed the action.
- Counseled an international telecommunications company following an inquiry by the Office of Foreign Asset Control concerning the company’s compliance with Ukraine/Crimea/Russia-related sanctions.
- The representation of numerous government officials and employees before a Pennsylvania grand jury investigating political corruption.
- Conducted internal investigation of an international manufacturing company following an inquiry by the United States Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC).
- Conducted internal investigation of a regional health system following allegations of misfeasance by its general counsel and chief executive officer.
- Advised numerous elected officials and candidates for office concerning campaign fundraising regulations and state and local ethics laws.
- Advised nonprofit community health organization concerning its compliance with local, state, and federal regulations following the discovery of fraud by an employee.
- The defense of a wide variety of health care providers, including physician practices, hospitals, and their employees, against allegations that they have violated state and federal laws concerning health care fraud, the False Claims Act, and violations of state and federal controlled substances acts.
- Prior to joining the firm, Kevin was selected by the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office to litigate the first motion in limine regarding the admissibility of expert witness testimony following Bullcoming v. New Mexico, 131 S.Ct. 2705 (2011). He distinguished the practices of the City of Philadelphia’s expert witness, lab technician, and city contractor from the practices prohibited by the Supreme Court. This resulted in the clearance of hundreds of matters stayed by the Philadelphia courts.
- The Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia, President-Elect
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Chair, Criminal Justice Section; Former Chair, Government Lawyers Committee (2012-2014)
- Federal Bar Association, Philadelphia Chapter, Criminal Law Committee, Executive Committee
- Friends of the Urban Affairs Coalition
- Philadelphia Magazine Diversity Advisory Board, Chair
- Legal Intelligencer’s Young Lawyer Editorial Board
- National Bar Association
- Kurtztown University Alumni Association, Alumni Board of Directors
- Forbes Under 30 Conference Host City Committee, 2014-2015
- Philadelphia Violence Prevention Collaborative, Member
- Mayor’s Commission on African-American Males, Commissioner
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Member
- Philadelphia National Karate Team, Coach
- Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia Board of Directors, Ex-Officio Member
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars
- LEADERSHIP PHILADELPHIA: Connectors & Keepers 2017
- Selected for inclusion in the Legal Intelligencer’s 2016 Lawyers on the Fast Track list
News and Insights
- Contributing author to Eckert Seamans’ 2017 Professional Liability Update, January 2017.
- Contributing author to Eckert Seamans’ 2016 Professional Liability Update, January 2016.
- Contributing author to Eckert Seamans’ 2015 Professional Liability Update, January 2015.
- “Pennsylvania’s Judiciary Needs an Injection of Youth,” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2015.
- “Firms Seeking to Increase Diversity Should Look to Public Sector,” The Legal Intelligencer, January 2015.
- Moderator, “Private Prosecution: The Dual Representation of Plaintiffs Charged With Criminal Offenses,” 2016 Philadelphia Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, September 2016.
- Panelist, “The Truth To Power,” Rock The Vote, Democratic National Convention, Philadelphia, July 2016.
- Presenter, “State Investigating Grand Jury Practice – Essentials For Federal Practitioners,” Federal Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee, Philadelphia Chapter, June 20, 2016.
- Panelist, “A Country Held at Gunpoint,” Amnesty International USA Annual General Meeting and Human Rights Conference, April 3, 2016.
- “Review of the Pennsylvania Supreme and Superior Court’s 2015 Criminal Law Cases,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2015 Criminal Law Update, December 16, 2015.
- “State Law Update,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2014 Criminal Law Update, December 2014.
- “Evidentiary Issues and the ‘Crawford Test,’” Philadelphia Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, November 2012.
- “Millennials to Watch in Law: Young Lawyers on the Rise,” Philadelphia Business Journal, April 28, 2017.
- “Kevin Harden Jr., Philly gun violence and the making of a star attorney,” BillyPenn.com, December 2016.
- “Fattah sentencing on hold,” Philadelphia Tribune, October 6, 2016.
- “Bar Leaders Urge Passage of Dormant Deadly Force Bill,” The Legal Intelligencer, September 26, 2016.
- “New Barristers’ Association leader is a second-chance story,” Philadelphia Business Times, September 15, 2016.
- “New leader at helm of Black law association,” Philadelphia Tribune, September 6, 2016.
- “Bar Results Leave ‘Drought’ But Firms Likely Unaffected,” The Legal Intelligencer, October 2015.
Much of the courtroom success Kevin has enjoyed is attributable to his 20 years of training in the martial arts. He is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and competes nationally as a member of the Philadelphia National Karate Team. In 2015, two sanctioning organizations, the National Blackbelt League and the North American Sport Karate Association, ranked him as a top 10 fighter in his weight division for the competition year. Although competition is both fun and challenging, Kevin’s most cherished martial arts moments involve his leadership of several free self-defense classes for young women, domestic violence victims, and children affected by bullying.
J.D., Temple University Beasley School of Law
B.S., Kutztown University