Daniel B. McLane
Chair, Commercial Litigation - Pittsburgh
Dan McLane is a trial lawyer who has extensive experience representing a wide variety of corporations in complex commercial litigation. He represents clients concerning contract disputes and business torts, product liability, commercial real estate and lease disputes, Pennsylvania Liquor Code distribution rights, corporate governance, business dissolution matters, non-compete agreements, and oil and gas energy litigation. He serves as lead trial counsel in numerous state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country and before the American Arbitration Association.
His practice actively involves the counseling of businesses on a broad range of commercial matters including the drafting and advising on commercial contracts, corporate governance, and natural gas exploration. He often represents oil and gas exploration companies in a range of litigation involving leases, operating agreements, rights of first refusal, title and drilling commitments, post-production royalty and working interest disputes.
- Obtained favorable reversal from the Pennsylvania Superior Court of the dismissal of a breach of contract action involving the construction of a commercial trucking natural gas fueling station in Beaver County, Pennsylvania. Beemac Trucking, LLC v. CNG Concepts, LLC, et al. 134 A.3d 1055 (Pa. Super. 2016).
- Obtained dismissal of defamation action against CBS Broadcasting, Inc. in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. Ghrist v. CBS Broadcasting, Inc., 40 F.Supp.3d 623 (W.D.Pa. 2014).
- Represented an oil and gas client in a substantial dispute concerning title to operating wells in Greene County, Pennsylvania.
- Recently obtained complete arbitration award from the American Arbitration Association on behalf of an oil and gas client to enforce a right of first refusal agreement to substantial disposal wells in West Virginia.
- Currently representing oil and gas client in pending arbitration of a dispute concerning removal of an operator and for improper post-production deductions involving substantial natural gas wells in Pennsylvania.
- Obtained complete arbitration award from the American Arbitration Association on behalf of oil and gas client challenging improper post-production cost deductions on the sale of natural gas from substantial natural gas wells in Greene County, Pennsylvania.
- Represented client in dispute concerning the right to remove an operator of natural gas wells in Pennsylvania.
- Recently concluded litigation concerning the title to substantial coal properties in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.
- Represented an international corporation in an action involving substantial commercial net lease liability litigation.
- Represented a Pennsylvania primary distributor to enforce its exclusive territorial distribution rights under Pennsylvania Liquor Code.
- Currently representing international corporation in consolidated environmental citizen suits proceeding under federal Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and Pennsylvania Clean Streams Law.
- Received a complete arbitration award, including attorneys’ fees, on behalf of plaintiffs in a commercial dispute before the American Arbitration Association involving post-closing claims arising out of stock purchase agreement.
- Obtained verdict in excess of $1 million on behalf of global manufacturer following week-long trial in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas.
- Obtained confidential settlement for investor plaintiffs following two week trial on breach of fiduciary duty claims. Digital Encoding Factory, LLC v. Iron Mountain, 660 F.Supp.2d 608 (W.D.Pa. 2009).
- Successfully represented member of a Pennsylvania limited liability company in dissolution proceedings in one of the first published decisions based on Pennsylvania’s Limited Liability Company Act. Baird v. Macklin, 6 Pa. D & C 5th 193 (2008).
- Obtained dismissal of breach of contract action involving exclusive distribution rights in Southeast Asia against manufacturing client that was affirmed on appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Chemtech International, Inc. v. Chemical Injection Technologies, Inc., 247 Fed. App’x 403 (3rd Cir. 2007).
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant, a major automotive manufacturer, in a significant product liability action proceeding under Pennsylvania’s malfunction theory and as a sanction for the plaintiffs’ spoliation of evidence. Walters, et al. v. General Motors Corporation, 209 F.Supp.2d 481 (W.D.Pa. 2002).
- Allegheny County Bar Association
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
News and Insights
- “Inadvertent Loss of the Attorney-Client Privilege in a Corporate Transaction,” co-author, Westlaw Journal Professional Liability, January 2017.
- “Inadvertent Loss of the Attorney/Client Privilege in a Corporate Transaction,” co-author, Wall Street Lawyer, November 2016.
- “News You Can Use,” co-presenter, Eckert Seamans’ Human Resources Forum, May 2016.
- “Trials in the Real World: How Things are Done in the Federal Court in Western Pennsylvania,” Federal Court Section of the Allegheny County Bar Association, March 3, 2011.
- “Nearly $200,000 in attorney fees sought in oil, gas lease fight,” Westlaw Journal Environmental, January 18, 2017.
- “Wholesaler Files Suit Against Rivertowne Over Distribution Deal,” Pittsburgh-Tribune Review, October 7, 2015.
- “Finding Common Ground Paramount to Judge,” Sharon Herald, March 5, 2014.
- “Judge’s Action Upholds Founder’s Firing,” Sharon Herald, March 23, 2014.
- “Lawsuit Involving Two Westmoreland Firms Settled for $3.5M,” Pittsburgh-Tribune Review, April 2, 2014.
- “Paramount Games Lawsuit Settled,” Sharon Herald, August 15, 2014.
- “Family Feud Over Wilpen Hall Heads to Court,” Pittsburgh-Tribune Review, July 23, 2013.
- “Equitable Facing $320K Fine in Blast,” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, March 2, 2006.
- “PUC Blames Equitable for Ross House Explosion,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 3, 2006.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
J.D., cum laude, Syracuse University College of Law, 1995
B.A., Roanoke College, 1992