Bridget E. Montgomery
Chair, Commercial Litigation - Harrisburg
Bridget Montgomery handles a wide variety of complex commercial and class action disputes before state and federal courts, agencies, and arbitration panels. Bridget’s areas of expertise include contracts, financial transactions, trade secrets, shareholder and partnership disputes, consumer protection, non-competition, statutory claims, and constitutional challenges.
Bridget served two terms as a federal law clerk in the United States Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and from there went on to build a federal and state practice representing business interests of many companies and individuals in various jurisdictions, including counseling, mediation, and litigation services. She is recognized for her legal skills as well as service to the bench, bar, and community. Bridget is a graduate of The Pennsylvania State University and University of Pennsylvania Law School, where she served as editor-in-chief of the Penn Law/Wharton Comparative Labor Law Journal.
- Representation and counseling of publicly traded international manufacturing company in numerous business disputes, including contract, trade secrets, non-compete, premises liability, and real estate disputes.
- Representation and counseling of international vehicle rental company in numerous business disputes, including class actions, contract, real estate, and consumer protection disputes.
- Representation of various companies in trademark and patent disputes.
- Representation and counseling of various companies related to non-compete agreements and employment-related issues.
- Representation of various companies, partners, members, and shareholders in partnership, member, and shareholder disputes.
- Representation of financial institutions, including lender liability, unauthorized access to accounts, and 4,300-member class action related to customer accounts.
- Representation and counseling of various companies related to disputes over financial transactions and business ventures, including joint ventures, real estate investment and development, construction, lending transactions, and bond transactions.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Task Force on Judicial Conduct Code, Co-Chair
- Federal Bar Association, Third Circuit Vice President
- Continuing Legal Education Committee, Middle District Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Chair
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Evidence, Past Chair and Member
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s Appellate Rules Committee, Past Member
- Middle District Chapter of Federal Bar Association, Past President
- Middle District Court’s Lawyer’s Advisory Committee, Past Chair and Member
- Third Circuit Court of Appeal Lawyers Advisory Committee, Past Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Federal Practice Committee, Past Vice-Chair
- Pennsylvania Bar Association House of Delegates, Past Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Judicial Selection and Administration Committee, Past Chair and Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Judicial Candidates Ratings Reform Committee and Judicial Campaign Advertising Committee, Past Member
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Past Director
- Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, Executive Committee and Board Member
- Samara, Inc., Board Member
- Rotary Club of Harrisburg
Awards and Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for General Commercial Litigation
- 2013 Outstanding Service Award, Federal Bar Association, for service as the Third Circuit Vice President and for continuing legal education efforts
- YWCA of Greater Harrisburg 2010 Woman of Excellence
- 2009 Outstanding Service Award, United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
News and Insights
- Middle District Manual (Now in 8th Edition), Co-Originator and Editor
- “Welcome to the Practice of Law: Stuff They Don’t Tell You In Law School,” presenter, Dauphin County Courthouse, November 2014.
- “It’s a Jungle Gym, Not a Ladder,” panelist, Pennsylvania Bar Association Commission on Women in the Profession Annual Conference, May 2014.
- “Overcoming Obstacles to Success,” panelist, Pennsylvania Bar Association Women in the Profession annual retreat, November 2013.
- “United States Supreme Court Watch: Highlights of the 2012-2013 Term,” Dauphin County Bar Association CLE, August 2013.
- “Civil and Criminal Pretrial Evidentiary Hearings: Beyond the Basics,” planner and moderator, The Middle District of PA Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and The Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Federal Practice Committee CLE, June 2013.
- “Trial Practice and Advocacy in the Federal Middle District of Pennsylvania,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, October 2012.
- “PBA Proposes Changes to Judicial Conduct Code,” The Legal Intelligencer, May 21, 2013.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1989; Editor-In-Chief, Labor Law Journal
B.S., highest distinction, The Pennsylvania State University, 1986